ZOMBIELAND!!! GO FUCKING WATCH ZOMBIELAND!

It was such an unexpectingly amazing movie. Original the trailers put me off as it seemed like an Americanized Shaun Of The Dead clone. But the fact that it had motherfucking Woody Harrelson as the badass was making me think otherwise.

So I went in with my old friends and my new roommate with my expectations completely low. Hoo. Lee. SHIT. I fucking enjoyed every minute of it. It is so funny and witty, it gives Shaun Of The Dead a real run for its money. I think I already like it more than Shaun.

The beginning is bloody epic. From the narrated introduction to fucking “For Whom The Bell Tolls” playing in the opening credits, I knew I was in for an awesome ride and boy did it deliver.

I forgot what this thread is about because I got distracted when I noticed the girl in your avy is doing her little dance exactly to the beat of the song I’m listening to.

It’s true! Zombieland was uber awesome, and so is Bill Murray!

:up;

Gillian and I just returned from seeing Zombieland.

It’s basically Shaun of the Dead if Max Brooks had written it. The film had a nice combination of sadistic, grim humor and outrageous humor to make it feel light-hearted, yet, meaningful. Each character was likable and realistic, with a variety of personalities that blended well together. We had the nerdy-shut-in guy who believed any girl just because she was a girl, the tough guy who is just wearing mask, the bitch who’s not really a bitch, and the “I’m more mature than you” kid. This created a nice, realistic feeling that made it seem like a scenario that could actually happen.

The outbreak already occurred two minutes prior to the start of the movie. We’re introduced to the classic unlikely hero. Both Gillian and I agreed that no solid explanation for the outbreak was a good approach the film. Sure, the main character, Columbus, does give some insight to the events leading up to the outbreak but the rest is left up to the viewer’s imagination. The story is surprisingly well done; I was expecting a semi-entertaining, over the top zombie slaughter film, though as the story progressed, I soon realized there was more to it.

Zombieland focuses heavily on the characters as it gives bits and pieces of each of their back stories. This creates the undertone theme of trust and friendship the movie has to offer as the audience is engulfed in bonding with the characters just as they bond with each other. Over all, this is the first movie in awhile where I actually had a connection to the characters and didn’t flat out hate one. The best part about all of this was how well the deeper, darker tones were lightened by the comical approach to the idea of complete global saturation. Hope could be found in a hopeless situation, breathing a sense of truthfulness into the plot. The characters felt human with their own little quirks over normal movies where the personalities feel too shallow and cliche-ish.

Over all, Zombieland will please zombie junkies and comedy lovers alike. The humor keeps the film from being heartbreaking at parts while the deeper themes keep the film from feeling too pointless and random. The gory level is suitable for the film; just enough over-the-top scenes to make it comical yet not enough to make it too grotesque. It’s worth seeing, and both of us highly recommend it.

I don’t really see the comparison with Shaun Of The Dead, at all really. They are both the same kind of movies- satirical zombie movies- but they have far different themes, different settings, and different characters.

Even the comedy is different. Shaun focused heavily on satire and had a serious edge; Zombieland was far more slapstick and obscene.

Although Zombieland does sound everything like Max Brooks would come up with. Shaun Of The Dead has its own unique humor and its style can’t be seen morphed into anything else, even to something such as this movie.

I couldn’t get into Shaun of the Dead either times I tried to watch it… so, does that mean the movie will suck for me?

:slight_smile:

[quote=“spooie”]I couldn’t get into Shaun of the Dead either times I tried to watch it… so, does that mean the movie will suck for me?

:slight_smile:[/quote]
Not at all. With Shaun, the humor is mostly reclined to the UK’s style of comedy, which wouldn’t impact well with alot of Americans. Zombieland hits hard at the right spot for everybody.

I blame Monty Python and their dead parrots.

Have you read World War Z?

ME? No.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn.

Nope. Only The Zombie Survival Guide because I instantly remembered that book whenever Columbus narrates.

Read World War Z and you’ll know why Zombieland felt like Shaun of the Dead written by Max Brooks. :stuck_out_tongue:

My Borders doesn’t have it stocked yet. The fucking Nazis…