Your Fav Albums All Time

I guess since I want to get more incopoarated into the gforum community, I guess talking about my other passion outside of games would be helpful. So what ensues are my favorite albums all time. You guys post yours too.

My list as of now
(SUBJECT TO CHANGE)

Changed As Of 4/22/2009

1. Kanye West - College Dropout

Whenever I am asked by my dad who is my favorite artist, I know that wholeheartedly I say Kanye West.( Or Will Smith depending on how I am thinking). However this is the album that I listened to that had me take music serisouly, the topics that could be covered. In addition to this he didn’t hold any punches lyrically, the only time I think he is ever “outshined” is by the poet J.Ivy, who delivers one of the most heartfelt stanza’s of the decade. However the song I think that truly encapsulates this album Through the Wire, defines the type of feeling you get from this album the soul is fettered to the fantastic reworking of old soul songs and Kanye West makes an album that full of these type of anthems. On this album he shows the struggle of a man who wants to build a relationship with God but falls because of flesh, and on this album he becomes heroic because he often recognizes his limitations and his blessings. A hip-hop record of epic proportion.

1. J Dilla - Donuts

Sometimes words aren’t important. Sometimes its not what you say but how you say it, or in Dilla’s case, its not that he samples, its how he samples it. Each word builds this cyclical album . Breaking the norm of typical beats, these aren’t just beats, these are mini symphonies, the intricacies you pick up as you listen progressively. Most importantly is how this album makes you feel, thats what sets this album above and beyond anything I heard before. Its one of those albums that remind you that music , you are suppose to feel it. “Just Because I Really Love You”. The definative answer on why this is the second album on my list is because it means love.

1. Bob Marley - Exodus

Often times I hear how people describe how Thriller has 10 tracks all single worthy, I personally believe that such as statement belongs with this album. Its an album full of tracks that belong with one another. The opening to end is full of melodies that I know none other than Bob could think of. What makes Bob so special is his ability to write and his musical sense, and both stand out all over this album. The most important reggae album of all time.

1. Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor

“I had a ghetto boy bop, a Jay Z boycott”. More often than not, I thought I was the only one who had this type of mindset at a young age. To hear it reiterated by a wordsmith , who proved his worth over 10 tracks before this one, made me realize it was fine that I felt that way. It was fine to be disagree with other artists. One of the most memorable lines and it represents a younger state of mind. When I think of my growth with Hip Hop, that line after 10 tracks that were already incredible will be the thing I will mention as I discuss my growth in the future.

1. Mos Def - Black on Both Sides

Sitting outside of my high school senior year, thinking about how disappointed I felt. Thinking about life. Thinking that this was the album my brother had listened to during his senior year. Thinking, this album made me think. Its more about the topics than the insane metaphors, bigger than just a line, it was rhythm and poetry.

1. MF DOOM - MM…Food

When I heard this. I did a double take. I was perturbed, the artwork, and some of the lines had me wondering what I had just ventured into. At first it was Deep Fried Frenz that made me listen again. Then I started listening more intently and I haven’t heard that much quotables from a rapper in a while. This was the best mind bender. The obscurity and understanding the lense in which DOOM spit, made me realise as a story teller, he became my favorite, he didn’t tell literal stories but he sold to me the most compelling character in music period.

1. Damian Marley - Welcome to Jamrock

I don’t know what to say, this is the hybrid of every Bob album in a contemporary musical world if you ask me. And I don’t think anything else I can say can eclipse that. This is his Exodus. I think the only thing I can truly say to depart this from his father is that most importantly this is Damian doing the entire reggae genre a favour.

1. GZA- Liquid Swords

Lying on the bed looking at nothing but the darkness while hearing GZA rhyme. The words he orates, how he orates are so hard to catch. But when you start catching them as they linger with RZA’s grimey production, you get an experience like no other. The Wu affiliates provide the best support that any rapper could ask for. In fact the best track on this album is by none other than Killah Priest. This demonstrates that this album wasn’t about GZA getting shine, though he did, it was about putting together the best rhymes.

1. Remy Shand - The Way I Feel

You ask what soul music is to me, I point to this album. It exudes the feelings of love and is truthful about it and this guy has the silkiest voice and has some of the most soothing productions to back it up. The title track is what the album is about, the way love makes you feel. Mature and playful in the same manner. Classy grown up adult soul that was too ahead of its time.

1. Talib Kweli - Ear Drum

I always wondered what was my tenth album going to be. I had a renaissance concerning Kweli recently. I listened to this album and realized the wordsmith label he pushes, really is a good moniker for him. Not a single off beat or track or guest appearance ( well maybe Justin). I went back and listened to his work with High Tek but to me when I listen to this, Kweli just sounds more focused, smoother and flows so much better and the variety of production makes me a happy camper. I always wondered why I liked Kweli… its cause his words he believes are what his fans eat to live.

[align=center][/align]

1. Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder…

2. Men at Work - Cargo

3. The Envy Corps - Dwell

4. Men at Work - Business as Usual

5. Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

6. Cansei de Ser Sexy - Cansei de Ser Sexy

7. Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther

8. Astronautalis - Pomegranate

9. The Rumble Strips - Girls and Weather

10. Menomena - Friend and Foe

NOTHERE THATS MY FAVORITE INCUBUS ALBUM TOO!!!

The OP has alot of my choices already.

[quote=“Gamer98”]NOTHERE THATS MY FAVORITE INCUBUS ALBUM TOO!!!

The OP has alot of my choices already.[/quote]

Favorite song on the album?

Smile lines. Ben Kenny is such a good bassist that song is so groovy. I dance in the care to it all the time :stuck_out_tongue:.

Yeah I like Smile Lines, but I think the Album name song is really good, too.

And “Sick Sad Little World”.

[quote=“nothere413”]Yeah I like Smile Lines, but I think the Album name song is really good, too.

And “Sick Sad Little World”.[/quote]

“Here in my room” “Leech” The album is so fucking epic.

I forgive all your poopiness over the past few days.

LET’S BE FRENZ.

[quote=“nothere413”]I forgive all your poopiness over the past few days.

LET’S BE FRENZ.[/quote]

OK! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“nothere413”]1. Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder…

1. Men at Work - Cargo

2. The Envy Corps - Dwell

3. Men at Work - Business as Usual

4. Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

5. Cansei de Ser Sexy - Cansei de Ser Sexy

6. Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther

7. Astronautalis - Pomegranate

8. The Rumble Strips - Girls and Weather

9. Menomena - Friend and Foe[/quote]

Looks like I gotta look into Incubus

Men at Work is my true favorite band, though.

What genre?

Time to bore you with some older stuff…
Blue’s Traveler: Hook

Jellyfish: Bellybutton

Queen: Queen’s Greatest Hits Volume 1 & 2

Last Action Hero Soundtrack

Beatles For Sale - The Beatles

Let It Be - The Beatles

Cheer Up! - Reel Big Fish

We’re Not Happy Till You’re Not Happy - Reel Big Fish

Prolonging The Magic - Cake

Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue - Trocadero

I could name albums all day, but those are ones that I love to death. Really any album by these artists are awesome. Every Beatles, Reel Big Fish, or Cake album is great in my opinion. Trocadero only has one album, they do the music for Red vs. Blue and they should be putting out a second album this year.

Um… I really don’t think I could put them in a genre. :confused;

Some people call them New Wave, others call them “World Music”.

[align=center][/align]

I’m not going to post album art. Sorry. I guess I’ll write something for each one too, or not.

1. They Might Be Giants-Flood
    Imagine Sgt. Peppers with a more outlandish outlook and wider range of genres and you have Flood. There are a TON of genres represented in this album. It took me like half a year to get into, but now it’s my favorite.

2. Modest Mouse-The Moon And Antarctica
    Just look up a review of this album. It’s dark, dreary, bleak. I dunno, you need a professional for this one.

Now I really can’t put numbers on the rest.

Logan Whitehurst And The Junior Science Club-Earth Is Big
Go to juniorscienceclub.com and download it. Home-made on a 4 track, but the thing is so multi-layered, it blows my mind.

The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Everyone knows it.

The Flaming Lips-The Soft Bulletin

Owen Otto-Lorem Ipsum
I can seem to never stop recommending this album. Owen gave it away for free on raccoonandzebra.com so there’s not excuse not to listen to it.

The Music Tapes-For Clouds And Tornadoes
Lo-fi stuff. The guy plays singing saw, banjo, accordion, bass, and a little guitar. It’s awesome.

And I’m a little eerie of putting this on here but…
Neutral Milk Hotel-In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

[quote=“mr_knucklehead”]I’m not going to post album art. Sorry. I guess I’ll write something for each one too, or not.

1. They Might Be Giants-Flood
    Imagine Sgt. Peppers with a more outlandish outlook and wider range of genres and you have Flood. There are a TON of genres represented in this album. It took me like half a year to get into, but now it’s my favorite.
    [/quote]

One of my first CD purchases when I got my first cd player. Anyone who watched the show “Tiny Toon Adventure’s” will recognize at least 2 of the songs off this, Particle Man and Istanbul(not Constantinople). Listen to Whistling in the Dark and keep a straight face, I dare you.

The Soundtrack to Nightmare Before Christmas was actually my very first cd, followed immediatly by Jurassic Park’s sdtk.

I’ll give you some off the top of my head, but in no particular order.

The Second Stage Turbine Blade-Coheed & Cambria

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3-Coheed & Cambria

Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness-Coheed & Cambria

Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World For Tomorrow-Coheed & Cambria

Thin Red Line -Glass Tiger

A Hundred Million Suns-Snow Patrol

Eyes Open-Snow Patrol

Lemon Parade-Tonic

Masterpiece Theater-Marianas Trench

In Loving Memory of…-Big Wreck

The Pleasure and the Greed-Big Wreck

Dressed Up As Life-Sick Puppies

Rage Against the Machine-Rage Against the Machine

Gotta Get Thru This-Daniel Bedingfield

Machines & Robots-Tupelo Honey

The September Sessions-Tupelo Honey