You are the Demons

[align=center][/align]

The Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare series is one of the most highly acclaimed games of this console generation. With little over two weeks away from the release of Modern Warfare 2, it shouldn’t be surprising to hear the buzz of anticipation rising from the gaming community as we prepare ourselves to go back to war. However, among the praise comes an outcry of horror and shock.

It was recently discovered that a level would be included in the game that features the player walking in the shoes as a terrorist themselves. In this level, the player will be within a squad sent in to perform an act of terrorism within an airport. Destructoid’s testers uploaded a video of the level to allow gamers to get a glance of what to expect. As we can see, the squad enters the airport fully loaded and unleashes round after round of bullets onto the defenseless, unsuspecting civilians awaiting their flights. Clearly, your squad mates will do most of, if not all, the killing themselves giving you the option to shoot along with them or just follow along. Either way, it’s certainly bound to bring up red flags within the media.

The level itself is apart of the main story with two check points breaking up its gameplay to warn players that some “may find an upcoming segment disturbing”. The terrorist level is actually how the game begins but, of course, can be skipped though Infinity Ward seems to be encouraging players to experience it at least once.

“The scene establishes the depth of evil and the cold bloodedness of a rogue Russian villain and his unit. By establishing that evil, it adds to the urgency of the player’s mission to stop them,” Infinity Ward stated. “Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older.”

Needless to say, this is a risky step to take in this day and age. Just from watching the video, I already found myself feeling uneasy from the scenes of injured men and women trying to crawl out of the line of the gun fire. It inflicted the feeling of heartlessness that left me saying nothing more than, “Holy shit…” So congrats, Infinity Ward, you’ve done a good job and portraying emotion by including the player within the eyes of the terrorist over being a spectator watching it within a cut scene… But is this going too far…?

For those unsure of the level, I would like you take a moment to be open minded as I try to help understand and explain why this level was designed. While I do speculate the media to chew Infinity Ward out, I do feel that this maybe the first step towards raising the bar of helping games prove themselves to be a serious, respectful medium. It is clear that Infinity Ward’s reasoning is to provoke emotion over having it included for just pointless killing. An example of this would be Edmund, an indie game created for an adult gaming competition.

[align=center][youtube][/youtube][/align]

Edmund features the player taking over as man who beats a woman half to death and then rapes her. The player of course performs the act but has Anthony Burch from Destuctroid points out, it was a prime example of overpowering the player with a feeling of being horrible and dirty by placing them within the mind of the rapist.

There is no clear explanation as to how the game works; Anthony mentions about how the controls only specify using ‘Z’ to jump, the arrow keys to move, and then the ‘X’ button to perform an unknown action… Which after attempting to talk to the woman, he discovers the action button caused him to beat her and the only way to progress the game onward was to continue to rape her. Of course, it gave him the feeling of being disgusting by making you the villian over the hero. I would assume that this is a simpliar feeling that Infinity Ward would like to bring up with the terrorist level though I suppose we’ll have to wait to see just how it fits into the overall picture.

Lol’d at the title, but yeah… I’m sure “fundamentalists” will be jumping all over this after the game comes out. I personally have no problem with it because [SPOILER]it’s just a game.[/SPOILER]

Is the survival horror queen going soft on us?

^^What nothere said.

Irregardless of fact that it is just a game I think that in post 9/11 times it is in very poor taste for Infinity Ward to do something like this. I’m not saying that this is so bad the game shouldn’t get released but seriously a portion where you can kill innocent civilians in an airport? Very poor judgment IW.

I see no problem with this. It helps you understand the terrorists better and if that means if I have to be the terrorists for one mission then that’s fine with me. I can understand why IW can let you skip it but if you do you’re missing out apart of a story. If the single player mode is just as good or even better than the first Modern Warfare I can see myself play this sevreal times.

We are now at Alert Level Red for a Jack Thompson attack. Send your loved ones to the panic room, and get your AKs ready.

Seriously, while this section of the game did disturb me a little bit when I saw it, I’m not going to make a big fucking deal out of it. I actually laud IW’s decision to put this in the game, rather than capitulate to the bunch of soft-ass politically correct morons who are going to give them shit for it. It also hammers home the true threat that terrorism presents to all of us.

I hope the douchebags in the media keep their mouths shut when they see that it’s skippable, but I doubt it.

Prepare for the shit storm people, it’s coming.

Story is more imortant than your own personal confort.

I kill things that are dead and want to kill me; not that are alive and innocent.

Yes, but they can’t help it; they’re just engaging in survival behavior. Zombies need to eat, like lions and killer whales. Would you kill Shamu because he eats fish?

[SPOILER]In the interest of full disclosure, I would kill Shamu just to mount him on my wall. >_>[/SPOILER]

[quote=“AoR Final”]Yes, but they can’t help it; they’re just engaging in survival behavior. Zombies need to eat, like lions and killer whales. Would you kill Shamu because he eats fish?

[SPOILER]In the interest of full disclosure, I would kill Shamu just to mount him on my wall. >_>[/SPOILER][/quote]

People need to survive as well.

I guess we all better put bullets in our heads for eating burgers.

I really did not want to watch it till I got the game in my hands but because it’s already ruined for me I watched it anyway. I still stand by my first claim. If it’s for the story then I’m all in for it. Besides the quality of the video was very shitty.

[quote=“Kumiko”]People need to survive as well.

I guess we all better put bullets in our heads for eating burgers.[/quote]

Ah, but you have the presence of mind to say “Oh, maybe I should eat something non-sentient, like a carrot.” Zombies don’t have that benefit.

Besides, we’re engaging in survival behavior as well; you can live without meat, but you’re putting your long term health at risk, because you’re not getting all your food pyramid squares, so you need to eat.

Besides, those cows are raised specifically to be eaten. They’re fed, sheltered, and then killed humanely after living healthy lives. They could be a lot worse off.

Oh, and note that I never said that killing zombies was wrong. When you shoot a zombie that’s trying to eat you, you’re engaging in survival behavior as well. But try to understand where they’re coming from. It’s not their fault. It’s just how they were raised.

Good day madam! :neutral_face:

[SPOILER]I don’t mean a word of this, but it’s an interesting debate isn’t it? =P[/SPOILER]

[quote=“AoR Final”]Ah, but you have the presence of mind to say “Oh, maybe I should eat something non-sentient, like a carrot.” Zombies don’t have that benefit.

Besides, we’re engaging in survival behavior as well; you can live without meat, but you’re putting your long term health at risk, because you’re not getting all your food pyramid squares, so you need to eat.

Besides, those cows are raised specifically to be eaten. They’re fed, sheltered, and then killed humanely after living healthy lives. They could be a lot worse off.

Oh, and note that I never said that killing zombies was wrong. When you shoot a zombie that’s trying to eat you, you’re engaging in survival behavior as well. But try to understand where they’re coming from. It’s not their fault. It’s just how they were raised.

Good day madam! :neutral_face:

[SPOILER]I don’t mean a word of this, but it’s an interesting debate isn’t it? =P[/SPOILER][/quote]

India would like to have a word with you, good sir.

They already tell me that I’m a terrible person every time I call Microsoft Tech Support. :stuck_out_tongue:

BA-DUM-PISH.

What does 9/11 have to do with anything? It would be OKAY to go around killing people BEFORE 9/11, but not after?

Let’s be honest here. This game already came out years ago, and it was called State of Emergency. People complained. Today, no one remembers the game. AND it had a sequel.

Besides… didn’t 24 do this in season 5 or something?

Should I mention the India skeleton farming system?

I meant setting a terrorist level in an airport is far too touchy of a subject now let alone setting one where the player can kill civilians.

It made me feel really sick, angry, and sad inside watching the video I feel like its taking it just a bit too far. Sure you can be like the guy in the video and not fire a single shot but for the person who does I’m sure it looks really horrifying fox news and all the other news outlets might actually have a legit reason to bitch this time. Either way good fucking job infinity ward they have really big balls and this is the first time a game has been able to pull all theses emotions out of me.

In Schindler’s List, there is a scene where Ralph Fiennes is seen shooting a bunch of defenseless jewish people from a window, as they scramble to “get busy” and this, avoid his ire. We see this sequence through the view of his character, as if we’re the ones doing the shooting. He doesn’t even care about them. He shows no emotion. Takes a puff, takes a piss and even points his gun at the naked girl in his bed, who herself doesn’t seem to care about what he’s doing out the window. Meanwhile, he’s shooting people in the head for stopping to tie their shoes or sit for a moment. Was it disturbing? YES. It also was a very powerful scene and a memorable scene, and, oh yeah, he was nominated for an academy award and the movie won the oscar as well. Now… the scene is very horrific, but would anyone argue that THAT sequence should be removed from the movie? In effect, it made the viewer’s hatred and feeling of being afraid of him that much more profound.

So… what say you, peeps? Should THAT have been taken out of the movie?

It seems like(could be wrong) you’re given the goal of storming a air port and shooting civilians who aren’t doing anything but just going about their normal lives you’re the one pulling the trigger aiming at the people choosing who the kill. There’s another video where some guy is leaning on a wall bleeding to death and the player shoots the guy in the head its really graphic and disturbing I’m not saying it should be removed but its really taking things too far. This would still be pretty horrifying if it was just cutscene but you being in the shoes of the supposed terrorist doing the actually killing just makes it more horrible than watching.