What do you guys thinkon Pre-selling games

Gamastura Article

They are talking about Publishers funding development before it happens. I wonder how this would affect games.

I think it’s a dumb idea for the consumer, to be honest.

If a company pre-sells a million games you’re eliminating part of the motivation to make a great game.

That and I would never do it because there’s been alot of cases in which I like the premise for a game but the final product doesn’t appeal to me at all.

[quote=“nothere413”]I think it’s a dumb idea for the consumer, to be honest.

If a company pre-sells a million games you’re eliminating part of the motivation to make a great game.

That and I would never do it because there’s been alot of cases in which I like the premise for a game but the final product doesn’t appeal to me at all.[/quote]

They weren’t talking about the consumer they were talking about large publishers funding development of games based on studio track records. As for a consumer level they’d have to promise me something pretty good but I’ll admit if they made me some pretty good promises and was a trustworthy company I would do an extremely early pre-order. I guess it all depends on the information your given. If Capcom makes a sequel to Tasunoko Vs Capcom for Wii and promises lots of characters like 80 or something then I’d do a pre-sell on it.

I would pre-buy a game. Sadly its games that are going to do well anyways like the Next Smash Bros, Mass Effect 3, ect. There also has to be some kind of advantage to doing that.

The article is talking about something like Nintendo funding Suda 51’s next action game before he starts based on No More Heroes. The article makes it sound like this kind of thing doesn’t happen.

This would be like buying a house before it’s built and only seeing a description - possibly rough sketched blue prints - and the location of it.

So you guys are totally against this even though it could provide benefits? Lets face it there are some series we would buy the next game in without question. The article is talking about publishers funding a developer then the developer producing a prototype to see if they want to go further. I don’t think they are suggesting users buying games in advance.

Basically this is a publisher buying the rights to a game before its been made based on previous developer history. The idea is the publisher takes a little more risk for hopefully a better product.

I think early pre-orders are completely useless. There are people who will order a game basically when it’s announced. All sorts of things can happen in the 1-3 year interim. I just find it pointless, personally.

So if I do a pre-order, I do it leading up to the release, so a couple months or so. But not a year or two years. “OMG TBA? I’m SOOOOO pre-ordering that NOW!”

Concerning the idea, I think it’s a great model and it should be used more often.

[quote=“Shillelagh McFlaherty”]I think early pre-orders are completely useless. There are people who will order a game basically when it’s announced. All sorts of things can happen in the 1-3 year interim. I just find it pointless, personally.

So if I do a pre-order, I do it leading up to the release, so a couple months or so. But not a year or two years. “OMG TBA? I’m SOOOOO pre-ordering that NOW!”

Concerning the idea, I think it’s a great model and it should be used more often.[/quote]

Its risky however I disagree with being useless even if it were consumers pre-buying.

As you said it involves more risk so that is probably why companies don’t do this often. The article is referring to something like Microsoft purchasing the rights to the next Atlus game before its started production. I think there are benefits to developers having more money to spend on games before they are developed. This is based on how a company sales records have been doing. Another example is Ubisoft purchasing Suda’s next game based on past history.

nothere413 said that a company has no incentive to make a good game? How about the fact they have to ask you to pre-buy another game and would like more pre-sales? Also I believe Pre-Selling involves telling the buyer something.