This made me rage so hard. (Politics)

In 2005, a poll was conducted about who the greatest Americans are/were.

The top 25:

[ol]
[li]Ronald Reagan[/li]
[li]Abraham Lincoln [/li]
[li]Martin Luther King, Jr.[/li]
[li]George Washington[/li]
[li]Benjamin Franklin[/li]
[li]George W. Bush[/li]
[li]Bill Clinton[/li]
[li]Elvis Presley[/li]
[li]Oprah Winfrey[/li]
[li]Franklin D. Roosevelt[/li]
[li]Billy Graham[/li]
[li]Thomas Jefferson[/li]
[li]Walt Disney[/li]
[li]Albert Einstein[/li]
[li]Thomas Alva Edison[/li]
[li]John F. Kennedy[/li]
[li]Bob Hope[/li]
[li]Bill Gates[/li]
[li]Eleanor Roosevelt[/li]
[li]Lance Armstrong[/li]
[li]Muhammad Ali[/li]
[li]Rosa Parks[/li]
[li]The Wright Brothers[/li]
[li]Henry Ford[/li]
[li]Neil Armstrong[/li][/ol]

Link

It’s like what the hell?

Reagan in number one?

Bush, Clinton, Elvis and Oprah over FDR? And even worse, over Thomas Jefferson?

Bush and Clinton shouldn’t have been on the fricking list to begin with.

And Eleanor is way to far down.

And Einstein wasn’t an American at all.

And anyone who puts Disney over Bill Gates is just asking for it.

I’m mad. Anyone else?

Obviously they didn’t poll a lot of black people who were around during the 80s. Otherwise Reagan wouldn’t even be on the list.

Apparently all you have to do to receive the love of the American people is lie about how you’re not a bigoted homophobic mouthpiece.

[quote=“AoR Final”]Obviously they didn’t poll a lot of black people who were around during the 80s. Otherwise Reagan wouldn’t even be on the list.

Apparently all you have to do to receive the love of the American people is lie about how you’re not a bigoted homophobic mouthpiece.[/quote]

I’m not a huge fan of Reagan, either… but you have to give him some credit. Had it not been for his metaphoric balls, the cold war wouldn’t have ended quite as soon as it did.

Does that mean he’s the greatest American? Hell no.

[quote=“nothere413”]I’m not a huge fan of Reagan, either… but you have to give him some credit. Had it not been for his metaphoric balls, the cold war wouldn’t have ended quite as soon as it did.

Does that mean he’s the greatest American? Hell no.[/quote]

Reagan didn’t do jack shit to end the Cold War, the Russians couldn’t sustain their government, and it collapsed on itself. Reagan was just lucky enough to be there to pick up the pieces and take the credit.

We can thank him for AIDS though. Fucking ass.

Ronald Reagan is the man solely responsible for the events that led to 9/11 and the recession that we all just faced months ago (and still has us by the nuts).

His administration ruined the Republican party ideology, brought in waves of corporate goon into Congress, the same goons that are still in Congress trying to fuck more things up today.

The only thing he’s praised for is that the Cold War ended on his watch, which is bullshit because the past 6 administrations were doing their jobs with weaken the USSR themselves. Communism was on it’s deathbed coincidently when Reagan was sworn in.

He was everything that is wrong with America. So many of his idiotic followers thought his economic policies are fool-proof and rejected anything and everything that DOES actually work (things relating to taxes and regulation).

People only know Reagan as a sweet gentlemen who single-handedly ended the Cold War himself, and they never blame anything on him because they found such perfect scapegoats for all that.

If there is a God and a Hell, I hope to God he’s in it.

FDR was a shitty president. The New Deal did nothing at best and extended the depression at worst. Lincoln isn’t as great as people like to think he is either. He may have abolished slavery, but apart from that his track record on civil rights is pretty bad, especially when it comes to habeas corpus. He was doing Guantanamo Bay type stuff to his own citizens way back in the 1860s.

I’d have to think for a while before making a top 25 list of Americans, but I certainly think that Washington and Jefferson and perhaps Martin Luther King belong up at the top.

Blah blah blah, I hate white people, blah blah blah, Ronald Reagan is the antichrist, blah blah blah, Einstein ain’t american, blah blah blah, Steve Gates is the lord, blah blah blah, I like pie, blah blah blah…

spooie enters

ANSWERS:

Ronald Reagan is at the top because this poll was from 2005, a few months after he died and everyone was in a wave of remembrance for Reagan.

Einstein has been an American for 69 years now.

Disney actually brought joy to children the world over. Bill Gates brought us VISTA. Seriously… WHO belongs above WHOM, again? Besides… any list with Gates and without Steve Jobs or the Woz isn’t a list people should concern themselves enough to complain about anyway.

lol. No wonder this poll is so fixed, it’s by AOL.

Actually, he prevented it from getting as bad as it could’ve been, and luckily for him, WW2 came along to save the day and pull us completely out.

Though quite a few of his plans in the New Deal didn’t work quite as well as intended, others worked just fine. If not working well for the economy, they at least created new jobs that boosted peoples confidence by making them work for their money instead of getting handouts like what happens nowadays.

Had it not been for FDR, suicide and divorce rates would’ve been much higher during The Depression, and we may not have been as effective in World War 2 due to lower morale.

And his fireside chats made America feel more like a family, and brought people and communities closer together during a time of need.

I get that FDR gave people hope and boosted public morale. It’s why he stayed in office so long. But in terms of actually helping the economy during the depression? He didn’t do a thing. It was WW2 that pulled us out of the shitter, not FDR or the New Deal.

Ask the same people the same question now and we will get diffrent answers.

It’s not as if there was any way to pull us completely out of such a deep economic rut other than a war, anyhow…