The DD Market

Hearing the DD talk on neogaf got me thinking if PSP Go is $250 because of retail pressures whats that going to make new consoles PS4, Xbox 720’s or whatever if they go all DD. I mean the game boxes were already expensive and still are even after the PS3 price drop which people are championing so you know it makes me wonder why some developers sound like DD is really good for a consumer. I’ve heard the argument of cheaper games but so far I haven’t seen it beyond some great sales on steam.

Well I guess Sony and MS will just have to go to the good old days of direct consumer catalogs instead of retailers!

Which shouldn’t be that hard for either one as Sony and MS already have vast distribution hardware sites across the country (Sony like Apple even has retail stores in locations across the country). It’s just that they all ship out to retailers…now they will just ship directly to the consumer just like the games that will power the boxes. Then they can even partner with FedEx and UPS Stores to have a “pick-up” option for people who are scared to have a package delivered direct to their door step

Problem solved and in the end it saves the platform holders even more money b/c now they don’t have to deal with retail at all.

[quote=“sbf717”]Well I guess Sony and MS will just have to go to the good old days of direct consumer catalogs instead of retailers!

Which shouldn’t be that hard for either one as Sony and MS already have vast distribution hardware sites across the country (Sony like Apple even has retail stores in locations across the country). It’s just that they all ship out to retailers…now they will just ship directly to the consumer just like the games that will power the boxes. Then they can even partner with FedEx and UPS Stores to have a “pick-up” option for people who are scared to have a package delivered direct to their door step

Problem solved and in the end it saves the platform holders even more money b/c now they don’t have to deal with retail at all.[/quote]

Sadly there isn’t a Sony store or a Microsoft store or a Nintendo store anywhere near me. I personally don’t see the benefit of DD as a whole for anyone but the Publisher/Developer technically they could Fed Ex it or something but thats pretty strange and is not nearly the same as buying it in a Walmart, Target or something. I really get annoyed by the promise of lower prices yet on those games they offer DD they aren’t even priced the same as brick and mortar stores which they attribute the the brick and mortar stores. As well they currently sell you games for $60 why are they going to suddenly cut prices especially when supposedly they’ve abolished the used games market?

GameStop is evil yet why do publishers and developers give them exclusive contents and crap thats pretty much telling consumers to buy their games at GameStop the very thing they complain about. From a consumer point of view DD is horrible unless you get that really good steam sale which is like a sale at any other store and if brick and mortar went away I’m not so sure steam would be doing those sales.

Also forgot to mention there are much bigger problems with the DD market than just price one of them is certainly hard drive space. Nintendo can get away with you redownloading VC releases because they are small but full retail games aren’t going to have such a luxury especially those of you who think we need Blu-rays for games. If consoles get out of control I’ll just end up playing those free MMO’s and things like that which let you play then offer cash shops.

If they go DD only I’m only going to end up buying things like games I know will be good from Nintendo and Maybe Halo and a few other games my gaming would be extremely limited come that time I for sure wouldn’t even consider most third party games. I wouldn’t have got no-more heroes nor would have been interested in the sequel if it was DD only. I’m betting people wouldn’t have even gone near Red Steel 2 if they were DD only.