The current status of digital distribution on PSP

Did not type all this shit to not have it posted :neutral_face:

I find this thread insanely funny since the second I ordered my iPod Touch I posted in the Shoutbox it was the end of the majority of my time with the PSP.

It’s silly to expect Sony to become Digital Distro Jesus and part the seas of Gamestop stores across the country and MAGICALLY change what Valve, Apple, and many other DD stores couldn’t.

Theses are the inherent flaws of all DD services(Wiiware, PSN, XBL, iTunes) and I have no idea why PSP Go was expected to change that and it’s silly to bitch about it.

But you are wrong on the publisher side of things b/c the marketplace will still determine the price. I’ve seen this happen first hand with iPhone games and right now there are no used games but if you release a $10 game on the App Store it had better either carry a high brand name (Like the Sims 3) you will not have mass market sales.

As a result Gameloft is pricing their knocks off at a max of $7 and found that they can have success at that price.

And MANY DD services (including PSN) have sales just like retailer stores.

As to PSP development barriers yes the barrier is higher than the $99 dev kit Apple sells but at the same time you saw many SMALL iPhone and Cell phone devs pick up PSP Mini development so while it’s higher it doesn’t seem out of reach.

Also remember PSP development costs have been slashed from 80% what they were when the system launched and all support fees have been removed and have been for well over a year.

What you saw from that was not only attracting PSP Mini devs but also more PSP development in general. While it’s higher than iPhone it’s way lower than say Wii which is why Dante’s Inferno, Soul Cailbur Broken Destiny, Army of Two 40th Day, Valkryia Chronicles 2 and many other games will be coming to PSP and not Wii giving it better 3rd party support than the leader of this generation of consoles.

Overall I’m not happy with DD plans from Sony so far. I’ve been saying they needed to switch from UMD to Memory Stick for the past year and a half but I know they are moving in the right direction even if they are moving slowly.

[quote=“sbf717”]Did not type all this shit to not have it posted :neutral_face:

I find this thread insanely funny since the second I ordered my iPod Touch I posted in the Shoutbox it was the end of the majority of my time with the PSP.

It’s silly to expect Sony to become Digital Distro Jesus and part the seas of Gamestop stores across the country and MAGICALLY change what Valve, Apple, and many other DD stores couldn’t.

Theses are the inherent flaws of all DD services(Wiiware, PSN, XBL, iTunes) and I have no idea why PSP Go was expected to change that and it’s silly to bitch about it.

But you are wrong on the publisher side of things b/c the marketplace will still determine the price. I’ve seen this happen first hand with iPhone games and right now there are no used games but if you release a $10 game on the App Store it had better either carry a high brand name (Like the Sims 3) you will not have mass market sales.

As a result Gameloft is pricing their knocks off at a max of $7 and found that they can have success at that price.

And MANY DD services (including PSN) have sales just like retailer stores.

As to PSP development barriers yes the barrier is higher than the $99 dev kit Apple sells but at the same time you saw many SMALL iPhone and Cell phone devs pick up PSP Mini development so while it’s higher it doesn’t seem out of reach.

Also remember PSP development costs have been slashed from 80% what they were when the system launched and all support fees have been removed and have been for well over a year.

What you saw from that was not only attracting PSP Mini devs but also more PSP development in general. While it’s higher than iPhone it’s way lower than say Wii which is why Dante’s Inferno, Soul Cailbur Broken Destiny, Army of Two 40th Day, Valkryia Chronicles 2 and many other games will be coming to PSP and not Wii giving it better 3rd party support than the leader of this generation of consoles.

Overall I’m not happy with DD plans from Sony so far. I’ve been saying they needed to switch from UMD to Memory Stick for the past year and a half but I know they are moving in the right direction even if they are moving slowly.[/quote]

I’m starting to get annoyed by DD they give you less and charge you as much if not more. The unit itself cost more than any other PSP.

I’d rather stick with a regular PSP, you know, the kind that can use both hard copies AND downloads. With downloads you don’t own the game, you just purchase the right to play the game on that particular PSP. A friend can’t borrow it, you can’t sell it, put it on your shelf, or buy it used.

Digitalizing everything is a shortcut for companies/publishers like Sony because they can control the price and put a halt on used product trades because they can’t make any money of of them. Downloading are an entirely contemporary method. which is why the PSP Go is a whole sham- hard copies would always last way longer.

I’ll take hard copies while they are available, and not gonna get a system that doesn’t even give me that option.

I just don’t like Downloadable Games without a hard copy, in general. Why I ain’t getting a DSi either.

Sure, you own what you download right now… but what happens in 5 years when you’ve long since taken it off your system due to space limitations and the service that hosts the content no longer exists? Sony isn’t going to keep your games around forever. Remember when Xbox Live was supposed to be around forever? And, what, Halo 2 is like the only game on there for the original Xbox. And that game isn’t 5 years old yet. Hell, Sony took out the BC of the PS3 just so they can re-sell you the PS2 games you already have in your possession on the system again. And now, that’s what is going to happen on the PSP.

[quote=“spooie”]I just don’t like Downloadable Games without a hard copy, in general. Why I ain’t getting a DSi either.

Sure, you own what you download right now… but what happens in 5 years when you’ve long since taken it off your system due to space limitations and the service that hosts the content no longer exists? Sony isn’t going to keep your games around forever. Remember when Xbox Live was supposed to be around forever? And, what, Halo 2 is like the only game on there for the original Xbox. And that game isn’t 5 years old yet. Hell, Sony took out the BC of the PS3 just so they can re-sell you the PS2 games you already have in your possession on the system again. And now, that’s what is going to happen on the PSP.[/quote]

There’s a large difference though DSI isn’t download only. I see some people getting really exicted for DD but really its just selling you the same thing and giving you less. At least having physical copies protects you in the case a company goes under. I’ll admit if Nintendo went DD only I’d get their games but not because they are DD its because I like their games enough to put up with it.

Also Sony’s not doing some exchange program for PSP owners? I thought they were? If not there’s no reason for PSP owners to give a shit.

I have other reasons for not getting the DSi too, like, you know, owning 100 GBA games and actually wanting to play them. :slight_smile:

Sony said they won’t be able to do with “Good Will” UMD to Download plans of people putting their pre-existing games on the PSP Go! due to “legal and technical problems” at this time. However, in Europe, they’re supposed to be working out some king of program where you can get up to THREE free first party PSP titles from a selection of 17 available, based on pre-established criteria.

There’s not going to be any UMD conversion program.

The PSPGo is becoming more and more a joke by the day.

You are right spooie Sony isn’t gonna want to keep your content forever.

But the thing about PSP games is that you can totally take the digital copy and remove it from the memory stick and burn it to CD and make a physical copy. I’ve done it in the past when I didn’t have enough space on my 1GB memory stick.

Simply moving and burning that data doesn’t change it at all.

You can delete the file from memory stick and then load it right back up on that PSP from that physical copy absolutely NEVER having to re-authorize it with Sony again.

And as hackers have found out nothing about Sony’s authorizing techniques are tied down to the server it’s all built in the application/device itself (which is how they were able to reserve engineer it and steal PSN games)

I’m assuming you can also do something similar with DSiWare games and Wiiware games by copying them to SD Cards. At that point you can copy them from SD to PC and burn them to whatever disc format you like then copy right back to SD. And I’m sure when it’s time to close up shop on PS3 and 360 download games they will do something similar letting you back them up to a external drive or something.

I know there isn’t a specific law now but I’m sure in the future as digital goods start to hold as much value as the physical versions they will have to at least give you the option to back up your digital content to reuse it again or keep the servers up. Just like how the govt forces ISPs to store data on customers and how email services are forced to keep records.

Also I missed the part where Sony took PS2 BC out of existing PS3s that have PS2 BC to sell it to them again. You can also…still play PS2 games on a PS2.

It’s actually better than playing them on a PS3 b/c PS3 PS2 emulation can have weird errors that you don’t get on PS2. Like totally deleting your save files.

edit: -_-

ehh. So much for that argument since you edited your post. At least you got it the second time around, making this post wholly useless.

edit 2:

seriously though, you gotta stop doing that.

edit 3:

for real.

edit 4:

PS I love you.

Last edit for the night as I’m heading to bed. >_>

[quote=“Gurren Lagann”]There’s not going to be any UMD conversion program.

The PSPGo is becoming more and more a joke by the day.[/quote]

I’m not even sure who they are marketing it to anymore beyond people who love DD just because its DD and are willing to pay more for a lesser product.

I think Sony are targeting costumers who don’t even have a PSP. Plus, ripping off their older costumers who aren’t aware how useless this thing would be to them.

I really don’t know what the fuck Sony was thinking when they made this abomination. It is NEVER a good idea to try something different to a device when current owners have zero gain in all of this. it’s not going to build up on the success of the PSP and it’ll alienate consumers.

When Nintendo dropped the ball with the DSi, Sony easily outdid them thanks to this WONDROUS piece of machinery. Sony never ceases to amaze me.