Sony's motion controller delayed?

Sounds like it.

Great news. With both Natal and Sony’s motion controller launching in Fall there will be a ton of marketing that promotes motion control on HD systems.

Together they will just drive the point that waving your arms around like a jackass is no longer a Wii exclusive.

[quote=“sbf717”]Great news. With both Natal and Sony’s motion controller launching in Fall there will be a ton of marketing that promotes motion control on HD systems.

Together they will just drive the point that waving your arms around like a jackass is no longer a Wii exclusive.[/quote]

So you really want motion controls eh? Based on what you think of the Wii audience they aren’t switching to the PS3 or Xbox 360 anytime soon they are all too busy enjoying WiiFit and WiiSports. What makes the Wii popular isn’t motion controls which is why third parties fail because they just made crappy games hoping to get in on the popularity of Wii. We’ll see I would like them to create cool interesting content but so far I believe most developers don’t have a clue as to how to use motion controls. As much as I like some Wii games motion controls aren’t what makes them good.

:lol

That’s not what he said at all.

That’s not what he said at all.[/quote]

He’s said that before. He’s even stated its the reason No More Heroes went multiplatform.

No More Heroes went multiplatform because it’s a great game that didn’t sell well on the Wii because most Wii gamers either aren’t interested in that type of game or didn’t know what it was, and they’re expecting it to do better on the PS3 and 360. I, for one, will be buying that shit day one.

[SPOILER]If I have money…[/SPOILER]

[quote=“nothere413”]No More Heroes went multiplatform because it’s a great game that didn’t sell well on the Wii because most Wii gamers either aren’t interested in that type of game or didn’t know what it was, and they’re expecting it to do better on the PS3 and 360. I, for one, will be buying that shit day one.

[SPOILER]If I have money…[/SPOILER][/quote]

Yes but apparently at the time he though it was because PS3/Xbox 360 are getting motion controls which is dumb since it doesn’t even have them in those versions. Also you really think its going to sell much better on XBox 360/PS3? I guess they could actually market the game since I sure as hell didn’t know about it for the longest time.

BTW its Suda51’s best selling game I don’t know how much better you can get than that.

The Wii audience is too busy playing WiiSports and WiiFit?

That’s just…sad. :frowning:

[quote=“sbf717”]The Wii audience is too busy playing WiiSports and WiiFit?

That’s just…sad. :frowning:[/quote]

I believe this is what people like to claim is a typical Wii owner. Andrex and I among the core wii owners will gladly purchase good games but they need to push them out there. Crap like Dead Space Extraction and Crystal Bearers can go away. I would trade any motion controls or graphics for alot of meaningful content. Developers won’t do that since it costs them money and doesn’t have a wow factor.

I thought people did not care about this.

Yeah really, who cares? >_>

This thread is fucking confusing.

But what you guys don’t want to admit is that the majority of Wii owners ARE just people who want to play Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Why do you think that the best selling Wii games are casual ones?

Go to any public place. Whether it be Wal-Mart, or the park, or school or something and ask everyone what console they have and what console-exclusive game they play the most. Most of the 360 owners will say Halo 3, most of the PS3 owners will say Killzone 2, and most of the Wii owners will say some mini-game collection. The fact that you DON’T think that No More Heroes will do better on the PS3 and 360 is just a testament to your Nintendo fanboyism.

And even if more games like Dead Space Extraction or Crystal Bearers were good and advertised, that’s not the kind of game that the majority of Wii owners want. The majority of Wii owners want a game that they can pick up and play anytime, has multiplayer, and is fun. That’s why New Super Mario is doing well.

[quote=“nothere413”]But what you guys don’t want to admit is that the majority of Wii owners ARE just people who want to play Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Why do you think that the best selling Wii games are casual ones?[/quote]

I think we need a definition of casual here. Halo was considered casual last gen.

Wii Play sells because it includes a controller, Wii Sports sells because it’s included in every console. Beyond those there are multi-million sellers that shouldn’t be considered casual.

Minigame collections are down. There isn’t a single minigame collection selling much on the Wii anymore. The answer you’d more likely receive is Mario Kart Wii, which is around 15 million sold, Brawl which is at almost 8 1/2 million sold, or Super Mario Galaxy at 8 million sold. Along with Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit, these game constitute the top 6 selling Wii games, and is actually an even split of “hardcore” games and minigames or casual games.

No More Heroes is a bad example. It will likely end up selling better now, but that’s after the series was already established and well-received critically. If it had originally come out on PS3 or 360, we don’t know how much better it would have done since Suda’s track record is filled with anything but blockbuster releases.

Okami wasn’t a game the majority of PS2 owners wanted. Heck, no game is what the “majority” of a console base wants. Ever. No game has ever passed the 50% tie-ratio, excluding bundled games. Not even Wii Play, the best selling game of all-time.

Instead what publishers want is an environment that can support many different types of games without needing a “majority.” Most publishers would be happy to have 1% of the Wii base buy their game, which would equal roughly 540,000 sales.

The problem the publishers are having right now are two-fold:

1. They squandered the Wii base early on with, as you said, minigame collections, rail shooters, and spinoffs. This has turned the owner base off and soured them towards some genres or franchises. This is why Darkside Chronicles bombed while its predecessor sold over a million, instead of making good on the install base Capcom opted to make an easy buck with UC, which stunted any future RE games they made for Wii. They have no one to blame but themselves.

2. The sales of Wii games are, almost without exception, gained over a long period of time, the “long tail.” However, publishers really don’t like this. They want games to blow their load within the first few months even if it means the game dies at retail afterwards.

Many Wii owners do, yes, but not the majority. NSMBWii is also somewhat of a bad example - it’s Mario on a Nintendo console, it would sell regardless. The DS NSMB, has sold around 20 million, and you only play as Mario in the main game for that one.

But as I said, the best situation is that the Wii install base supports a variety of games. The Wii base isn’t made up of a majority of anyone, the first NMH sold decently (enough to get a sequel), Call of Duty MW Reflex just recently sold 500,000 in its first month, etc. It’s reaching the diverse groups of consumers that purchased a Wii that’s the hard part, and one yet to be solved by the majority of publishers.

When I said majority, I didn’t literally mean more than 50% were all going out and buying the same games.

What I DID mean is that most Wii owners are content with games without any real depth.

And saying that 3rd parties squandered the Wii early on may be true, but Nintendo kind of shot themselves in the foot when they didn’t include HD and made the Wiimote the standard Wii controller. Alot of developers (and alot of gamers) prefer HD and controllers more like the 360 controller, the Dualshock, or even the Gamecube Controller. Though the console sales might be high, they sort of shut themselves away from 3rd parties this gen by making everything so different.

A good example I can think of would be Multiplatform games. This gen there have been alot of PS360 multiplatform games that WOULD have been on the Wii as well had it not been for the Wiimote and lack of HD and processing power. The sales that they would have on the Wii wouldn’t be worth all the effort and time it would take to port it. A good example of this would be Dead Rising, where after they actually DID port it, everything had to be watered down so as to reduce lagging.

And as for the whole issue of the PS3 and 360 motion controllers not selling as well as the Wii, that’s a given, considering the Wii is completely built around motion control. But Nintendo is going to have to step up or else they’ll get beaten out, quality-wise by both the 360 and PS3. I mean, think about it. Natal will have full body motion sensing and the PS3 whatchamicallit will have full 1:1 in the hands and will get the gist of where your body is.

[quote=“nothere413”]When I said majority, I didn’t literally mean more than 50% were all going out and buying the same games.

What I DID mean is that most Wii owners are content with games without any real depth.[/quote]

“Most” still implies majority. And if you flat out asked all Wii owners if they want depth, they’d say yes. The problem is that the amount of “deep” games on the Wii are few, so it’s not a good environment for Wii owners to reciprocate that need back to publishers. Both are at fault.

This is true. The Wii would have gotten more ports if it had HD. But I don’t think that was neither Nintendo’s vision nor the desire of most multi-system owners. You’re not going to buy two versions of the same game. The 360 launching first was a huge coup in getting western development support locked in right off the bat.

Ahh this is BS. There’s nothing wrong with the Wii’s controller and in fact it suits almost ever genre 100% fine even without the use of motion controllers. It’s like saying the DS wasn’t familiar enough to developers because it had a touch screen/second screen.

Eh, I doubt either will get anything other than a handful of games to support them. It’s easy to keep quality high when you only have 12 games supporting you.

The unfortunate thing for both is that not only has the Wii been on the market for quite a while, but so will have Wii MotionPlus by the time either comes out. It will have around a 1.5 year lead over both, maybe more if they delay it again. This is time that will be spent by both consumers buying it and developers learning it. Natal won’t have very many games supporting it if it truly does use 10% of the 360’s power, and the PSWand’s support depends entirely on if Sony can sell the thing. MotionPlus is out there right now if devs want to use it.

Whether they actually do is an entirely different story. There’s already a handful of sports games using it, but I think it will live and die by this E3. Red Steel 2 will have come out and will have been the first “hardcore” game to show off M+, so it will be fresh in Wii owners’ minds going into E3, and Nintendo really needs to knock Zelda Wii’s implementation out of the park if they want to get developers on board. But no matter what Nintendo does, usually it’s not enough for fickle third parties, so they could have the best E3 and M+ showing ever and not have it actually matter in the grand scheme of things for all I know.

The thought Nintendo needs to “step up their game” is completely laughable, sales and quality wise. For Nintendo’s games, their implementation is usually spot-on. But, I suppose one could see MotionPlus as them stepping up their game. Looking at sales, it was a little unnecessary, true.

Neither Microsoft nor Sony’s motion devices will significantly alter either the rate their consoles sell, nor the developer support either has. For better or worse.

[quote=“nothere413”]But what you guys don’t want to admit is that the majority of Wii owners ARE just people who want to play Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

Why do you think that the best selling Wii games are casual ones?

Go to any public place. Whether it be Wal-Mart, or the park, or school or something and ask everyone what console they have and what console-exclusive game they play the most. Most of the 360 owners will say Halo 3, most of the PS3 owners will say Killzone 2, and most of the Wii owners will say some mini-game collection. The fact that you DON’T think that No More Heroes will do better on the PS3 and 360 is just a testament to your Nintendo fanboyism.

And even if more games like Dead Space Extraction or Crystal Bearers were good and advertised, that’s not the kind of game that the majority of Wii owners want. The majority of Wii owners want a game that they can pick up and play anytime, has multiplayer, and is fun. That’s why New Super Mario is doing well.[/quote]

Let me ask you why No more Heroes is going to do better on the Xbox 360/PS3? 2 platforms? Its also Suda 51’s best selling game so apparently it did better than his stuff on PS2 and I doubt you’d say that was a bad third party environment. I should be the Wii consumer third parties are targeting but they’ve really been letting me down. As for saying the market isn’t there I think it is we are just way more skeptical now and expect better because third parties have been putting out spinoff’s, ports, ect. Some of these games were destined to fail like Dead Space Extraction and Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers I couldn’t care less if they were rated 9’s they were spinoff’s and Crystal Bearers isn’t even 1/4 the length of XIII that’s a joke.

I’ll admit it as a Wii owner I’m going to give the finger to spinoffs trying to cash in on brand name again. If you guys expected Crystal Bearers or Extraction to do well while the main series are getting sequels your fooling yourself. Developers aren’t treating Wii like the lead console it is and so they pay for it.

Eh. If anyone’s paying for it, it’s Wii owners.

Developers are loosing out on a revenue stream. Users will just buy Nintendo games and the better stuff. Games like Resident Evil 4 and Red Steel did do well so there was a market and if its not there third parties let it go away. Then again most efforts are jokes and they can’t really gage the market on something like Dead Space Extraction.

[quote=“Andrex”]
Natal won’t have very many games supporting it if it truly does use 10% of the 360’s power,[/quote]

:lol Again with this?? You can’t be serious. Go read MANY of the head to head comparisons from The Digital Foundry.

Usually these get used as nothing but fanboy fuel as to why the PS3 sucks at _____ but reading them you discover all the tools and techniques that are being used this generation.

There are probably MANY techniques that can be used to hide that 10% and hell even in big AAA games that want optional Natal support.

Seriously though people need to just drop the 10% bullshit. It’s FUD to the highest degree.