So what are some good Xbox 360 Indie (XNA) games????

I bought a 360 today(doesn’t come till Weds) and I was curious about finding some good Indie games. I checked the online marketplace and it was listing like 600 >_> I heard Groov was awesome but that’s about it.

So what are some of your fav Indie games???

[quote=“sbf717”]I bought a 360 today(doesn’t come till Weds) and I was curious about finding some good Indie games. I checked the online marketplace and it was listing like 600 >_> I heard Groov was awesome but that’s about it.

So what are some of your fav Indie games???[/quote]

Well I can give you a link to their game list. 360 Indie Marketplace

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH ZOMBIES 1N IT!!!1

_>

[quote=“sixsicksixes”]I MAED A GAM3 W1TH ZOMBIES 1N IT!!!1

_>[/quote]

They are indie games thinking its going to be something like braid is unrealistic Jonathan Blow spent $180,000 on that. Its why its not really an indie game even though people have called it that. He had good funding even if it was his own.

Wait… So a game that is abstract in thinking, done by a very small development team, attempts to be different, but has funding over $100,000 isn’t indie…?

Over $100,000 isn’t exactly indie the rest of it is although I don’t know many indie developers who have $100,000+ they can throw in a project. Indie is made for cheap not $100,000 I’m glad Johnathan Blow has that much but most indie developers have nowhere near that. Sure I guess he’s indie in the sense he’s not tied to a major publisher or anything however he’s not nearly the norm for indie developers and you can’t expect all indie games to have over $100,000 budgets for games on Xbox live. If you think the indie section is going to have games like Braid your overestimating that again games with that much funding end up on Live Arcade with $10 or more prices. Microsoft places braid under live Arcade and not under indie titles therefore by exposure and budget its not really and indie game to me.

Again Braid’s not in the indie section for a reason. Its indie in the sense its a game that has a developer who isn’t tied to a large corporation however its not nearly the norm for the cost of development.

I don’t see how the amount spent on a game’s development should effect whether or not the game is seen as an indie game. The main source of what makes an indie game indie is being, well… Independent. If a developer is capable to spend a rather large amount on their project, they shouldn’t be belittled for it. Especially since it is still their own resources.

In all honesty, indie games truly can cost a couple $100,000 easily. [url=http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/2009/10/11/we-are-debt-free/]Tale of Tales[/i], the indie developer of The Path, declared themselves debt free from their game’s development after 35,000 sales of their game being at $10. That’s at least $300,000 right there… Figuring the company probably didn’t get the full $10 to put directly toward their debt, and figure there’s some mistranslation due to their funds coming from US Dollars and Euros… But still it’s safe to say they spent well over $100,000.

And that’s only half the development cost. The rest was funded by organizations and donations.

And then what would developers like The Behemoth? They started off making flash games on Newgrounds, then had their game picked up and made on the systems. Eventually the last project, Castle Cashers, has had over 1,000,000 downloads and has a console port over to the PS3 next year. Surely you can’t say they’re sell outs for being successful while still managing themselves.

I would recommend watching Anthony Burch’s latest Rev Rant video. He gives a good explanation as to why indie games shouldn’t be limited funding rise and encourages larger named publishers to invest more money into them.

[quote=“Kumiko”]I don’t see how the amount spent on a game’s development should effect whether or not the game is seen as an indie game. The main source of what makes an indie game indie is being, well… Independent. If a developer is capable to spend a rather large amount on their project, they shouldn’t be belittled for it. Especially since it is still their own resources.

In all honesty, indie games truly can cost a couple $100,000 easily. [url=http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/2009/10/11/we-are-debt-free/]Tale of Tales[/i], the indie developer of The Path, declared themselves debt free from their game’s development after 35,000 sales of their game being at $10. That’s at least $300,000 right there… Figuring the company probably didn’t get the full $10 to put directly toward their debt, and figure there’s some mistranslation due to their funds coming from US Dollars and Euros… But still it’s safe to say they spent well over $100,000.

And that’s only half the development cost. The rest was funded by organizations and donations.

And then what would developers like The Behemoth? They started off making flash games on Newgrounds, then had their game picked up and made on the systems. Eventually the last project, Castle Cashers, has had over 1,000,000 downloads and has a console port over to the PS3 next year. Surely you can’t say they’re sell outs for being successful while still managing themselves.

I would recommend watching Anthony Burch’s latest Rev Rant video. He gives a good explanation as to why indie games shouldn’t be limited funding rise and encourages larger named publishers to invest more money into them.[/quote]

Well yes its indie in the sense that its not from a major studio as I said. Although expecting indie developers to be like this is an unrealistic expectation. I’m not saying they are sellouts. I’m saying that your expectations for a indie game having budgets that are $100,000+ are not very realistic. I’m impressed an indie game can have a budget that high. When I think indie game I don’t think $100,000+ budgets. Again it kind of makes the indie label lame when you focus more on the not being with a major publisher part rather than being a game that was made with good ideas but limited resources. Indie to me means limited resources rather than not being part of a publisher because the publishers main thing is giving the resources really.

How can you say it’s unrealistic when I just gave you three examples of indie developers with $100,000+ budgets…?

I understand that for a lot of indie developers, they can’t reach such a high amount but it’s not impossible.

[quote=“Kumiko”]How can you say it’s unrealistic when I just gave you three examples of indie developers with $100,000+ budgets…?

I understand that for a lot of indie developers, they can’t reach such a high amount but it’s not impossible.[/quote]

They aren’t in the indie section for a reason. Its not impossible as you said and you gave 3 examples. I’m saying that is not nearly the norm so expecting “indie games” to all be like that is ridiculous again you are citing very rare cases its like saying Americans have alot of money because Bill gates does that’s a generalization that can’t work. You are citing outliers and not where the majority of the indies are. The bigger budget games like Braid are not in the same boat as other indies.

My point is the main difference that separates indies from companies is money. In fact I believe indies are companies just really small companies compared to the large companies. The games with funding near Braid and such will not be put in the indie section they are in the arcade section.

The way the 360 Arcade and indie sections are set up isn’t by whether you are an indie developer or not its by resources. Braid, Castle Crashers are in the arcade section even though they are indie games.

You can’t really base your logic on the organization of one place though, especially when your source is flawed. The perfect example of this would be the XNA created games like Dishwasher Samurai (who’s developer also made I MAED A GAM3 W1TH ZOMBIES 1N IT!!!1 for the record.) It’s listed under Arcade even though it’s technically an indie game. The only reason why it’s not listed under indie is just because it won Microsoft’s XNA contenst; whatever it was called.

If you keep going based off how Microsoft organizes their games, then you might as well just say, “How dare you be successful!?” to slightly larger indie developers.

I get your point but my point is is that indie developers can still be indie even with larger budgets than other’s. Just because one company gets funding from winning a developer contest or gets a grant from a university to support their development or has a steady fanbase that offers donations doesn’t mean the developer should lose their credibility as an indie developer. Regardless if a marketplace considers it or not.

Hell the whole point of the video I posted - if you watched it - was to help defend the fact that we actually need to stop limiting indie developers and be more supportive. As Anthony said, a lot of indie developers never reach their desired goals with a game due to lack of funding. So if we continue to go by this, “oh you’re suppose to be poor” mindset, our imaginative aspects of the gaming industry will never bloom and flourish into its full potential.

[quote=“Kumiko”]You can’t really base your logic on the organization of one place though, especially when your source is flawed. The perfect example of this would be the XNA created games like Dishwasher Samurai (who’s developer also made I MAED A GAM3 W1TH ZOMBIES 1N IT!!!1 for the record.) It’s listed under Arcade even though it’s technically an indie game. The only reason why it’s not listed under indie is just because it won Microsoft’s XNA contenst; whatever it was called.

If you keep going based off how Microsoft organizes their games, then you might as well just say, “How dare you be successful!?” to slightly larger indie developers.

I get your point but my point is is that indie developers can still be indie even with larger budgets than other’s. Just because one company gets funding from winning a developer contest or gets a grant from a university to support their development or has a steady fanbase that offers donations doesn’t mean the developer should lose their credibility as an indie developer. Regardless if a marketplace considers it or not.

Hell the whole point of the video I posted - if you watched it - was to help defend the fact that we actually need to stop limiting indie developers and be more supportive. As Anthony said, a lot of indie developers never reach their desired goals with a game due to lack of funding. So if we continue to go by this, “oh you’re suppose to be poor” mindset, our imaginative aspects of the gaming industry will never bloom and flourish into its full potential.[/quote]

Yeah I see your point. I just see indies with more money as not being in the same league however its not exactly fair to compare indies who got company backing vs those that didn’t.

Get Braid

READY. BREAK.

I MAED A GAM3 W1TH ZOMBIES 1N IT!!!1

deffinatly worth it

try also:
Dark

there’s tons of others, but remember you can preview play almost all of them before you buy, and most are damn cheap.

Like iphone app cheap.