So today is the 25th anniversary of the Playstation launch...

In North America.

Curious to know what everyone’s first Playstation games were.

For the original Playstation, the first demo I played was Warhawk and the first game I played was either Battle Arena Toshinden or Wipeout. When I got the system in 1997, the first game I bought was Warhawk, followed by Jumping Flash! 2 and then Megaman 8.

For the PS2, the first three games I got were Shinobi, Rygar and Contra: Shattered Soldier. All, oddly, revivals of classic Nintendo and Sega games. I’m pretty sure the first PS2 game I played was Twisted Metal Black.

For the PS3, oddly, I have no recollection of the first game I played. The first game I bought was Warhawk, even though I was not a fan of online-only games. Truth be told, I played it more than any other game on the system by far.

For the PS4, my first game was, I believe, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood using the PSVR glasses. I remember playing that, Rez, Job Simulator and some demo for a space-based Call of Duty thing.

PSP… at this point, I cannot remember. PS Vita… never played it.

2 Likes

PlayStation: Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat Trilogy

PlayStation 2: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and Max Payne

PlayStation 3: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune

PlayStation 4: Infamous: Second Son and Call of Duty: Ghosts

1 Like
System First Game
PlayStation Spyro the Dragon
PlayStation 2
PlayStation Portable
PlayStation 3 The Evil Within
PlayStation Vita
PlayStation 4

Edit- I can’t remember when I played Twisted Metal but reviewing my memory, it’s more likely I played one of the games on PS1, and not Black on PS2. I’m not sure I ever actually played a PS2.

Oddly, I guess I have more of a connection with the Xbox – original (cousin had one with Halo and MechAssault), 360 (this thing felt like it was on the market forever and almost all my friends had one), and even the One (coworkers brought into work a few times for game night alongside my Wii U.)

PlayStation: Obligatory Mortal Kombat and Samurai Shodown mention
PlayStation 2: Madden
PlayStation 3: Metal Gear Solid 4
PlayStation 4: Obligatory Mortal Kombat X and Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator mention

1 Like

The first game I got for the PS1 was Spyro. I also got FFVII and MGS1 pretty early on.

Never had a PS2.

First PS3 game was The Last of Us. The only PS3 games I ever bought were TLOU, MGS4, and LittleBigPlanet. 99% of my gaming that gen was on the 360. I’ve got around 30 games for it (edit: just counted, I’ve got 38 plus whatever XBLA games I have).

First PS4 games I bought were Horizon Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4, both of which I brought home with the console.

Never had a PSP/Vita. I don’t really care for mobile gaming.

1 Like

PlayStation: Twisted Metal
PlayStation 2: Midnight Club
PlayStation 3: Motorstorm
PlayStation 4: Uncharted 4

PSP: ATV Off Road Fury
Vita: Uncharted Golden Abyss

Pretty bad list of games outside of Uncharted 4. Twisted Metal in particular I feel aged like a pair of JNCO jeans, it’s cringeworthy going back and playing it.

1 Like

Mega Man X4, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank All 4 One, Digimon Cyber Sleuth

Now that I think about it, Motorstorm was the first PS3 game I played, as a kiosk demo at some store. Can’t remember which, though.

PS1 - Spyro the Dragon
PS2 - Jak & Daxter
PS3 - The Orange Box (MotorStorm came with the system, but who cares)
PS4 - inFamous: Second Son

God idk if I can even remember.

Ps1: Playstation Underground Demos I remember a ton of. Maybe Dark Forces, I loved Star Wars.

I think PS2 my first game was Bully or God of War. I got it at the end of its life cycle where I could pick up a ton of the games really cheap and used that I have missed.

PS3: I also got later in its life. I was an Xbox kid until this PS4 gen. I THINK maybe I got it and Yakuza 3 was the first I played but I honestly forget lol I think I wanted it to keep playing the Yakuza franchise. There was probably another exclusive I wanted really bad and can’t remember off the top of my head. I never had a ton of games for PS3 OR PS2 really.

PS4: I got Assassin’s Creed Black Flag before I even got the console. That and Killzone Shadow Fall were my first games for it along with Resogun.