So EA just bought out another gaming company...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176838

Oh, and they announced they were firing 1,500 employees (17% of their workforce) at the company the same day, too.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176847

GO EA! Saviors of the industry!

Makes note to buy Dragon Age Orgins so EA doesnt lay anyone from Bioware off

So EA is cutting jobs because they can’t recuperate fast enough after buying out another developer…

{facepalm}

I’ll say it again; Fuck you, EA. Fuck you far up in your ass. :disgust;

I wish those 1500 workers will thrown in a protest.

More reasons to hate the Antichrist of gaming.

That’s a little dramatic don’t you think? EA is first and foremost a business and their first and foremost goal is to make as much money as possible for the business. It means fat paychecks for the higher ups. Not applauding it, but they are trying to make a profit.

They’re still assholes who fuck over both the consumer and their employees on a regular basis.

This is interesting so it looks like EA sets up offshore companies in tax havens to do their acquisitions. EA Netherlands actually acquired Playfish.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=174302450196&ref=nf

[quote=“spooie”]http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176838

Oh, and they announced they were firing 1,500 employees (17% of their workforce) at the company the same day, too.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176847

GO EA! Saviors of the industry![/quote]

Wow they buy a company then lay off employees not to mention its a large amount of employees.

Hey, now, let’s be fair. A lot of companies that EA acquire don’t WANT to be a part of EA. For example: Take Two. Maybe EA’s goal as a business is to make money at the cost of the consumer and the employee, but that doesn’t mean every company they takeover shares the same principals. BTW… I had read that something like $17-$23 million was wasted by Take Two to defend themselves from being in a hostile takeover. I bet that money spent meant some of their employees had to be laid off. Does anyone think EA cares about THAT? No… business as usual. Move on to the next one.

If EA knew how to run as a business, they wouldn’t be spending massive amounts of money to course developers, at the very cost of their workforce.

Top it off, EA just announced that 50% of their games currently in the works are getting canned and they’re gonna go back and “revive” some of their aging franchises.

Basically they are cutting any interesting game and they are going to stick with Madden and the like. Sounds like they aren’t happy with current costs of development.

Well NO company wants to be bought out by any other company. Because that usually always means that funding comes from a pool, which makes greenlighting a huge pain in the ass, not to mention that the profit is divided further to cover publishing costs (which i imagine are huge at EA). Take Two isn’t necessarily good and EA isn’t necessarily bad. Both are businesses and both want to make money at the expense of the consumer’s wallet. All companies care for the consumer because consumers mean money.

Also, I fail to see how EA wants to “make money at the cost of the consumer”. That doesn’t make any sense.

Also also, it’s not like the EA chairs are sitting in a circle, considering the best way to make their employee’s lives miserable. I really doubt they fired those people with happy smiles. If you consider the economy, its a wonder EA hasn’t laid off more than 1500. They are doing what businesses do to stay in the industry and move forward. If this news is really rotting you from the inside that much, you may not want to look at the news in the next year or two.

As I said before: it’s not like I’m applauding their actions but I don’t think that makes them the antichrist of gaming, for instance. I think people just like to point fingers and be angry at something.

You know, I kind of hate when people fall back on “The economy” as the reason to excuse something going on. EA has been eating up and shutting down companies for years now. Even during the BOOM of the economy.

As for making money at the cost of the consumer… it actually makes perfect sense. They do things that make a lot of gamers angry, like overworking their employees and not paying them anything, or attempting hostile takeovers of companies… all for a little more money in the bank. And a lot of the consumers avoid buying EA games because of it.

I also disagree with the “all companies care for the consumer because consumers mean money,” because that simply isn’t true. Companies care about SOME consumers, but not ALL consumers, and many companies will shrug off a smaller group of consumers in favor of the interest of a larger group of consumers. Look at all the drivel Nintendo lets come out on the Wii. They could say NO, like they did back in the Nintendo days… but they won’t. Because they reap licensing fees from them.

Anyway… I’m not trying to be mean. I’m just saying. Someone has to look out for the people that have no voice in the matter.

…Of course that doesn’t make any sense, the consumers are not their employees.

It’s that EA seem to not even give a flying shit about their employees at all. They would rather send 1500 people out of work just to increase their business operations. They are by far the greediest company in the game industry and this proves it.

I would understand laying off a chunk of their workforce if the whole company and their associates can’t make their ends meet. But to cut their workers off because they decided to throw more money into buying another studio, that is no excuse. It’s an insult. If they didn’t go forward on that absolute genius move, then those some 1500 people would still have work. This isn’t a time to be cutting off more jobs.

I’m pretty sure this is just bad timing. Also as I pointed out earlier EA Netherlands purchased Playfish not EA America where these layoffs happen. I’m sure EA Netherlands exists in their own bubble with their own profit/loss/investment strategy.

I don’t think it’s right to call EA a greedy company when since John has taken over they have tried to put the quality of their games first and foremost. Sure some turds get out like Need for Speed SHIT but they do seem committed to at least try and strive for quality.

Along with hefty investments into new IP like Mirror’s Edge, Dead Space, and EA Sports Active. And to say they don’t care about their employees just baffles me when you will hear people working at EA like the Bioware doctors, Paul Barret, and Jeff Green all say its a fantastic company to work for and they treat everyone so well.

But all these things aside EA needs to achieve some form of profitably soon or over 10,000 people will be out of jobs when they run out of money and can’t get anymore credit.

[quote=“sbf717”]I’m pretty sure this is just bad timing. Also as I pointed out earlier EA Netherlands purchased Playfish not EA America where these layoffs happen. I’m sure EA Netherlands exists in their own bubble with their own profit/loss/investment strategy.

I don’t think it’s right to call EA a greedy company when since John has taken over they have tried to put the quality of their games first and foremost. Sure some turds get out like Need for Speed SHIT but they do seem committed to at least try and strive for quality.

Along with hefty investments into new IP like Mirror’s Edge, Dead Space, and EA Sports Active. And to say they don’t care about their employees just baffles me when you will hear people working at EA like the Bioware doctors, Paul Barret, and Jeff Green all say its a fantastic company to work for and they treat everyone so well.

But all these things aside EA needs to achieve some form of profitably soon or over 10,000 people will be out of jobs when they run out of money and can’t get anymore credit.[/quote]

It also mentions cutting of games in development which means things like Mirrors Edge, Dead Space and the like I honestly know Madden isn’t one of the ones getting cut.