Since when is $299.99 a sweet spot

I’ve been hearing people say this when the PS3 price dropped but since when has that been a sweet spot?

Sometimes when there’s a 52" HDTV (1080p 120Hz) on sale for a little under $1000, people will take that into account because that’s way under the average cost most large flat-screen TVs are set.

In other words, this is about as cheap as the PS3 can get right now and it’s doable.

[quote=“Gurren Lagann”]Sometimes when there’s a 52" HDTV (1080p 120Hz) on sale for a little under $1000, people will take that into account because that’s way under the average cost most large flat-screen TVs are set.

In other words, this is about as cheap as the PS3 can get right now and it’s doable.[/quote]

But that’s not really a sweet spot is it? Its more like a hey this is what we can do right now because calling $300 consoles a sweet spot is an insult considering that’s what consoles launched at last gen.

Well, they’re more hi-tech and more expensive to produce now. And I’m sure there’s been a certain degree of inflation since last gen’s launch.

I understand the tech is expensive. If it keeps going on like this things are going to get out of hand. That was one gen and the launch price is now considered a sweet spot on price. I guess next gen we’ll be paying $400 plus on a “sweet spot” machine.

I don’t know about that, but we probably will the gen after next. Keep in mind that last gen the consoles were priced similarly to the gen before that.

Why will be be 2 gens from now it took only one to get $300 to $600.

Anyways at least Peter Moore gets it

Considering how stupidly expensive the consoles were when they came out, $299 is a godsend in comparison.

I hope the mentality changes because I sure as heck don’t want a $600 console again.

Same. Not all of us have Chad Warden money.

Then hope we don’t be seeing another generation in the next few years.

Considering Crytech was thinking of 2012 and Ubisoft was talking about $60 Million game budgets I’m thinking we won’t be able to anyways at least he said they’d look like the cut scenes today. The market will decide what it wants and we’ll see the pricing, ect react accordingly. If they launch at $600+ they will not have learned lessons from this gen. Depends on how long your talking about though because I am pretty much in agreement with Crytech that about 2012 is probably when we are at the very least going to be hearing stuff. I think if Microsoft and Sony’s motion control doesn’t take off they’ll be looking to a new console. Especially Natal people have been calling it the next Xbox 360 and really if it goes nowhere Microsoft is going to have to do something and that something is come out with next gen. Sony’s even worse if they can’t get going with this price cut and the motion controls its not going to be in Sony’s favor to wait around they are going to have to get the PS4 out there and really get people to bite I don’t think they can deal with being last place for more than one gen its already biting them badly. Console gens have been about 6 years apart so 2012 looks about right probably the end of it or 2013 but that looks about right.

Only Chad knows my sweet spot. :astonished:

FHUTA?

:lol

Thought I heard someone in the bushes that night :confused:

Barcster, the PS3 wasn’t successful at 600 bucks.

This is why were probably not going to see another one anytime soon.

And if there is one, it’ll do exactly what the PS3 did now, suck, and drop. Suck, and drop.

[quote=“JPjuice23”]Barcster, the PS3 wasn’t successful at 600 bucks.

This is why were probably not going to see another one anytime soon.

And if there is one, it’ll do exactly what the PS3 did now, suck, and drop. Suck, and drop.[/quote]

Yeah I believe the market will dictate what price it ends up at. As for not believing they will do this there were conceptions I had about what the companies would and wouldn’t do and they already went over the $300 I thought was going to be the max. Also unless you think they are going to pull what Nintendo did and not have crazy hardware you have to assume they’ll go the same route of raising prices since graphics are going to cost them if any kind of substantial improvement. After time the PS3 parts came down however when it launched I remember hearing they were losing money.

There’s been other systems that came out over 300 bucks.

The Neo Geo retailed at 650$ when it first came out.

The priced dropped to 400$.

And this was in the (Mid to end) snes days. So yeah, this is pretty much an exact repeat of history.

[quote=“JPjuice23”]There’s been other systems that came out over 300 bucks.

The Neo Geo retailed at 650$ when it first came out.

The priced dropped to 400$.

And this was in the (Mid to end) snes days. So yeah, this is pretty much an exact repeat of history.[/quote]

Yes which is why it was pretty easy to see why PS3 would fail. And yes I agree any console that costs that much deserves to die. But that in lies the problem apparently the hardware caused Sony to need that $600 price and Microsoft the $400 price. Price vs Tech and sorry there is no way to have both because I know someone is going to try and suggest it.