Sega Still Believes In Mature Wii Titles

http://wii.ign.com/articles/999/999812p1.html

June 30, 2009 - Slow sales of Sega’s mature Wii offerings are not holding the company back from releasing more.

Gary Dunn, Sega’s MD of European development, told Gameindustry.biz the company still enjoys taking risks on the kid-friendly console.

“You have to push boundaries and explore. I think whilst MadWorld commercially didn’t sell what we were expecting I wouldn’t say it’s game over for mature Wii titles from Sega,” said Dunn.

“We’re taking a look at the resources we have now. We’ve got money to invest in development, we’re just considering where to invest it next,” he added.

Not all was lost, however. The House of the Dead: Overkill, while having initially poor sales, rebounded nicely after several discounts.

“House of the Dead: Overkill was a profitable title for us,” Dunn said.

I thought Madword was a great title, just too damn short to purchase. What I call a AAA Rental.

Very very happy to see that Overkill was profitable (current GotY for me), though I’m not entirely surprised. Hopefully they greenlight the sequel Kuju obviously wants to do.

Pass me what SEGA is smoking please.

I don’t understand the point of this. The wii is marketed to more family oriented people, so why would they make mature games for it? Thats like selling candy at a drug rally place event

One every once in awhile a mature game on the Wii is nice. It let’s people know that the Wii isn’t a completely child-oriented console.

I won’t scold any company trying to make good games, but I don’t think it’ll yield as much profit as… say… Petz.

It’s nice to see that mature video games will still hit the market in the future.

I’m tired of just seeing kiddy games for it.

Makes me happy to know…for obvious reasons. >_>

It’s the therory that if the 360 and PS3 represent 10% of the pop, and the Wii is 50%, if you can sell these titles to 1 of 5 Wii owners, then you’ve done just as well.

(numbers are totally made up, and out of wack to boot)

[quote=“Asrugan”]It’s the therory that if the 360 and PS3 represent 10% of the pop, and the Wii is 50%, if you can sell these titles to 1 of 5 Wii owners, then you’ve done just as well.

(numbers are totally made up, and out of wack to boot)[/quote]

its more like
PS3 = 20%
360 = 30%
Wii= 50%

its pretty even but ur right…make one disc one game sell to 1% make good profit …and maybe expand the core base on wii lol.