Scans of first FF13 english review

I gotta preorder this shit still

http://www.allgamesbeta.info/2010/01/opm-uk-febuary-ffxiii-feature-first.html

Yeah, an exclusive “first” review from a single-console magazine which also contains an 8-page feature on said game… Yeah… Heck it even uses Japanese screens…

The game could be great, but something tells me this review is… less than objective…

You should have told me that you already read it. I should have known! LOL.

It’s a good review. Certainly better than that 4/10.

As far as objectivity goes, well, I wouldn’t rule out shenanigans. This is a “first English review” after all. Nevertheless I’m sure what they’ve said is true.

I mean, have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImXCl7m5MM (spoilers if you’re an anal bastard)

There are chocobos. You can ride them. They are vertex shaded. WHAT MORE CAN I SAY?

You could ride Chocobos in FFCC Crystal Bearers too and we know how that game turned out. >________>

[quote=“Andrex”]Yeah, an exclusive “first” review from a single-console magazine which also contains an 8-page feature on said game… Yeah… Heck it even uses Japanese screens…

The game could be great, but something tells me this review is… less than objective…[/quote]

It’s a review of the Japanese import not the English version. If they had struck a deal with Square for the first review I’m sure they wouldn’t be reviewing the Japanese import…

Okay but those chocbos were not vertex shaded. Let’s not trivialize the matter!

Later on in the review they go into the game’s issues. As Wired pointed out a while back, you can’t talk to NPCs, and it’s no FFXII as far as exploration goes. Does that perturb me? Yes, I am rather disgruntled.

But I accept what they chose to do and I think it’s going to be absolutely phenomenal anyway.

[quote=“Shillelagh McFlaherty”]Okay but those chocbos were not vertex shaded. Let’s not trivialize the matter!

Later on in the review they go into the game’s issues. As Wired pointed out a while back, you can’t talk to NPCs, and it’s no FFXII as far as exploration goes. Does that perturb me? Yes, I am rather disgruntled.

But I accept what they chose to do and I think it’s going to be absolutely phenomenal anyway.[/quote]

I heard the biggest problem was poor combat apparently the partner AI is crap and you only control one guy.

[quote=“Shillelagh McFlaherty”]You should have told me that you already read it. I should have known! LOL.

It’s a good review. Certainly better than that 4/10.

/QUOTE]

Oh no I didn’t I posted this a few minutes after you linked me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oooh, I see.

Barcester. I’ve watched a lot of the gameplay (walkthroughs, not clips), and the AI looks fine to me.

I believe it’s true that you only control one character at a time. But over the course of the game you do get to use all of them. Though I would like to switch on the fly.

[quote=“Shillelagh McFlaherty”]Oooh, I see.

Barcester. I’ve watched a lot of the gameplay (walkthroughs, not clips), and the AI looks fine to me.

I believe it’s true that you only control one character at a time. But over the course of the game you do get to use all of them. Though I would like to switch on the fly.[/quote]

It might not be anything but that’s a way bigger issue to me if it is. I know you control one guy but we’ll have to see whether your partners AI is good or not. The control you have over what happens is low according to some people the actions are very generalized as to what they can do.

Honestly I’m just happy that they didn’t do the same old tired JRPG thing where you get sent off into some nether region where a painfully slow “your turn, then my turn” sequence occurs. Rinse repeat one billion times. In this case you’re getting a fast paced experience that is meant to feel like an action game (to an extent). And battles basically take place exactly where you find the enemy. I don’t like being disoriented.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is that there’s no XP. That bothers me, but oh well.

Game still looks like butts to me.