Rumor has it...

That the Wii is going to get a price drop in the next few weeks, according to 1up.com, who is reporting on advance word out of Walmart.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176007

Assuming it pans out, anyone want to take a shot at the new price?

Anything higher than 200 dollars isn’t much of a price cut at all and anything below 200 dollars is too big of a price drop.

So 200 dollars, obviously.

$239.99

No WiiSports. GameCube ports and compatibility removed. 1 GB of space.

Taken right out of the Sony handbook.

$150 with no game or bust

360 is narrowing the gap every month with PS3 right behind it and anything short of a $100 price cut and they will get steamrolled this holiday season.

[quote=“sbf717”]$150 with no game or bust

360 is narrowing the gap every month with PS3 right behind it and anything short of a $100 price cut and they will get steamrolled this holiday season.[/quote]
Ahh, no. Wii still beat both 360 and PS3 in August NPD’s by more than 60,000 units. Even a $30 pricecut would launch it even higher than the competition with Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii (need I remind you that the first NSMB+DS price cut was the start of the DS’s skyrocketing domination.)

Though with the black Wii in Japan and black Wiimote coming over here, I’m also inclined to believe if a pricecut happens, it’ll be in tandem with a new color. In that case, God rest MS and Sony’s souls.

99$ to compete with the PS2.

I’d buy it for 99$. I mean, I have a Wii, but if it was 99$, i wouldn’t have regretted buying it.

No that had more to do with the fact Nintendo released the DS lite which was MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHH better than the DS Phat and was something you could actually carry around and not look like some dork. Probably b/c they made the DS lite look like an iPod.

Wii Fit Plus and NSMB Wii are nothing compared to the sheer onslaught of 3rd and 1st party titles Sony and MS will have this year and many more promised early next year.

Color wont do anything this gen in America unless it’s something truly exotic like that Red 360. You don’t see very many red consoles but hell we’ve had black consoles for ages it’s no special color.

“Games” are irrelevant in a sales discussion, really. MS gets a boost for Halo and Modern Warfare, Sony gets a boost from their own price cut plus the Slim, and Nintendo has Wii Fit Plus (the first Wii Fit is still in the top 10 NPDs) and NSMB (the first NSMB has surpassed 18 million sold worldwide.) Not even factoring in a possible price cut or new color.

“onslaught of 3rd and 1st party titles Sony and MS will have” If I had a dime… :lol

You underestimate the casual consumer. A new color will move a lot of units, hell even like half of J-GAF are creaming their pants over what just launched in Japan. Wii has always been about white, so when the complete inverse launches it will be “exotic”.

Did someone in this thread seriously say that the Wii was going to get steamrolled this holiday season?

Lemme break it down for you. Wii sales have declined by around 50% from this time last year . . . and yet, it’s STILL BEATING THE XBOX 360 AND PS3.

As much as I hate to admit it, Nintendo is more likely to benefit from one Wii Fit game, then Microsoft is from all their killer apps. >_>

I have no doubt that the PS3’s price drop, new model, and the future games will cause a gigantic leap in sales. But I also have no doubt that it will remain in third place. Rarely does the sales ranking order for these consoles change mid-generation.

I think NSMB Wii will not catch on the same way the DS verson will. What made that DS game so good was the fact I could play it anywhere and anytime. Also it was the first real mario game that felt right for the platform as Mario 64 DS was just…well I hate Mario 64 anyways but the DS version was worse to control. NSMB felt right for DS and I would say Super Mario Galaxy is more of the Mario that fits best for Wii not NSMB and I’m sure 2 will outsell it.

J-GAF is nothing but a bunch of trolls, I’m sure everything they like is nothing more than an elobrate joke to make Americans think it’s more awesome than what it is. >____________>

[quote=“Little_Goten”]Did someone in this thread seriously say that the Wii was going to get steamrolled this holiday season?

Lemme break it down for you. Wii sales have declined by around 50% from this time last year . . . and yet, it’s STILL BEATING THE XBOX 360 AND PS3.[/quote]
Hugely agree with this. Even on the Wii’s worst days, it’ll outsell the 360 and PS3 on average, and will very likely continue to do so for this entire generation! It’s virtually impossible to “steamroll” something far more accessible to casual costumers than that coming from a high-end game console.

I dunno. I think NSMB could easily outself SMG2, the first SMG has only sold around 5 million.

And you missed all the other points of my post so I’ll take that as a concession. >_>

Seriously though, all who’ve bought the black Wii describe it as truly something else. Nintendo actually put a lot of money and research into getting the color super-glossy yet as dark as possible.

It’s the same damn thing, it’s just black. Jesus Christ, how is that hard to comprehend?

The black they used is apparently very high quality. The “kuro” color has actually had a very positive reaction.

I wonder how many Wii would be sold if they came in the colour gold.

Damn, that may actually impel me buy another Wii.

I don’t think you understand at all. Yes its pretty obvious is a color change to black.

As for Nintendo dropping price they could but I doubt they’ll go lower than $200 but if they go $150 or less Microsoft and Sony are screwed.

You really think Mainline Mario is going to do bad especially when the DS version sold like crazy? Also you just mentioned another Mario game which will be guaranteed to do just fine.

I think people are jumping to conclusions since PS3 isn’t doing that horribly right now due to price drops and redesigns.

I don’t care if its made of poop. If it plays games, its good to go.

It seems some people get happy over new colors.

$199
http://kotaku.com/5359038/toys-r-us-ad-points-to-199-wii-price-drop-this-month

Still too much but at least Wii seems less overpriced being $100 away from the 360 and PS3.

Something… free… $12.99 value… can’t… read…