New years resolutions for game makers

I would like game makers to make a resolution to create and include more content in their games.

One for myself is to be more open to games from third parties on Wii.

What are some new years resolutions you would like to see game makers take to heart? I mean resolutions for them but if you’d like to post resolutions for yourself that’s good also.

P.S. Its not new years for me yet but after reading the chatbox I realized it is New Years already for some so that’s why I posted now.

Not have Multiplayer in EVERY game.

I’m starting to miss the Medikit. Don’t do Regenrating health except on Easy

If you do have Multiplayer NO multiplayer acheivements or trophys

I think I’m starting to hate overused QTEs. Heavy Rain and God Of War III is the ONLY games to allow this.

No 5 hour campagins. When I buy a game I expect a game in the range of 10 to 15 hours. Any lower and it’s not worth it.

Have REAL punishment when you die. Even more so on Hard.

When telling a good story don’t hold back.

No more Music Games.

Spread out the games more. Even having 1 solid game a month is great.

More muture games on the Wii. MadWorld and No More Heroes are the only 3rd party games I want to play that’s on the Wii.

Release more Demos of games. There’s a reason why Bayonetta and Dante’s Inferno is in my “Going To Play” List.

No more music games? Well screw you too. :frown;

Rock Band and Guitar Hero are out of control. Honestly the genre is being run into the ground.

Not to say music games are horrible but honestly look at how many games we’ve had just look at rockband.

Rock Band (2007)
Rock Band 2 (2008)
Rock Band Unplugged (2009)
The Beatles: Rock Band (2009)
Lego Rock Band (2009)
Rock Band: Mobile (2009)
Green Day: Rock Band (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)

8 Games 3 years. This seems really bad in 2009 before when it was a rockband a year that was way more acceptable but look at 2009 Unplugged, Beatles, Lego, Mobile and now we can only assume 2010 is going to continue the trend. Honestly 4 games a year people already have problems with yearly franchises. Which basically goes back to my developers ripping us on content.

Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero (2005)
Guitar Hero II (2006 )
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2007)
Guitar Hero World Tour (2008)
Guitar Hero 5 (2009)
Guitar Hero 6 (2010)
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (2008)
Guitar Hero: Metallica (2009)
Guitar Hero: Van Halen (2009)
Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (2007)
Guitar Hero Smash Hits (2009)
Band Hero (2009)
DJ Hero (2009)
Guitar Hero: On Tour (2009)
Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades (2009)
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits (2009)
Guitar Hero III Mobile (2007)
Guitar Hero III Backstage Pass (2008)
Guitar Hero World Tour Mobile (2008)
Guitar Hero 5 Mobile (2009)
Guitar Hero Carabiner (2007)
Guitar Hero Arcade (2009)

22 games 5 years

This would be like having multiple madden games a year people would be burnt out like crazy. This is even worse when you realize Guitar Hero and Rock Band play pretty much the same. If Madden had a new version every month it would be quite annoying we can barely stand it having a yearly release this is worse.

[quote=“barcster_2003”]Rock Band and Guitar Hero are out of control. Honestly the genre is being run into the ground.

Not to say music games are horrible but honestly look at how many games we’ve had just look at rockband.

Rock Band (2007)
Rock Band 2 (2008)
Rock Band Unplugged (2009)
The Beatles: Rock Band (2009)
Lego Rock Band (2009)
Rock Band: Mobile (2009)
Green Day: Rock Band (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)

8 Games 3 years.

Guitar Hero (2005)
Guitar Hero II (2006 )
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2007)
Guitar Hero World Tour (2008)
Guitar Hero 5 (2009)
Guitar Hero 6 (2010)
Guitar Hero: Aerosmith (2008)
Guitar Hero: Metallica (2009)
Guitar Hero: Van Halen (2009)
Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s (2007)
Guitar Hero Smash Hits (2009)
Band Hero (2009)
DJ Hero (2009)
Guitar Hero: On Tour (2009)
Guitar Hero On Tour: Decades (2009)
Guitar Hero On Tour: Modern Hits (2009)
Guitar Hero III Mobile (2007)
Guitar Hero III Backstage Pass (2008)
Guitar Hero World Tour Mobile (2008)
Guitar Hero 5 Mobile (2009)
Guitar Hero Carabiner (2007)
Guitar Hero Arcade (2009)

22 games 5 years[/quote]

I don’t care. I like buying a single, “main” GH game every year. GH5 showed they can still focus on gameplay and innovate. The improvements were numerous and I’d like to see more of them.

Pretty selfish anyone would want something that some people like to go away just because you don’t like it. Nobody’s forcing you to buy music games.

[quote=“Andrex”]I don’t care. I like buying a single, “main” GH game every year. GH5 showed they can still focus on gameplay and innovate. The improvements were numerous and I’d like to see more of them.

Pretty selfish anyone would want something that some people like to go away just because you don’t like it. Nobody’s forcing you to buy music games.[/quote]

Guitar Hero innovates? I haven’t found it to be that amazing beyond catching up to what Rockband was like. I guess that is a pretty far jump from the original which just featured Guitars. Seriously the market is oversaturated by 2 products its going to make this market crash and burn for the greed. I’m sure you can’t be happy with the horrible spin offs. As a consumer why should I care about the titles in 2009 when I know 4 more games in the exact same franchise with the same gameplay will be made in 2010? Even the best franchises will be run into the ground if you create multiple a year.

Its just too much for any consumer beyond the most devoted to want even half of them. Its just showing me they decide to cut out content to make 4 games a year instead of one game that has more content. This is just the disgusting side of EA and Activision to me. While I don’t think the genre should be gone EA and Activision have poisoned it quite badly.

Well have you played GH5? You notice the improvements they made in that game almost immediately.

1.Spend less money on press events. You do not need to be laying off employees and treating “journalists” to free plane trips across the globe, expensive night clubs with free open bars, and expensive swag. They need 2 things to do their JOB, access to the game developers and access to the games. Anything else is a waste.

1. Activision keep making games I won’t ever buy. Looking back through my ENTIRE game collection I own nothing from you and I want to keep it that way. Also Bobby Kotick get caught with a tranny hooker and have to left the company :smiley:

2. MS add more things to XBL primetime. 1 vs 100 is awesome but I want more things to play every night.

3. Sony please show the Cambridge project

4. Natal team DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!! DONT FUCK IT UP!!!

5. Lionhead Studios Please make Fable 3 look pretty, Fable 2 isn’t kthxbi

6. MS more Games on Demand with better pricing. Day one releases! Fuck Gamestop!

Betcha this year they make a game you want. :stuck_out_tongue:

But I agree with the rest. >.>

I did still it plays mostly like they have with some minor things and yes I’ll give you the series evolved into a rockband like thing. I do have to say though that the core of the game hasn’t changed beyond adding instruments. Its still about hitting notes that come down a screen which is how music games are defined now.

I feel like they treat the named band games (e.g. Rock Band Beatles) like movie or comic book games they are banking on the popularity of the group rather than making a good game. I do have to say I appreciate Rocksteady studios for making a good Batman game however I am worried that they now are making another one. I’m not saying Batman Arkham Asylum 2 will be bad it will just follow the conventions of the first.

[quote=“Andrex”]Betcha this year they make a game you want. :stuck_out_tongue:

But I agree with the rest. >.>[/quote]

Sadly as much as I dislike EA they have control of Bioware. I like Bioware so I have to deal with EA.

I just remembered one:

Have every game with a RPG element have a New Game Plus mode Like Resident Evil 5 and Mass Effect.

[quote=“StealthMaster86”]I just remembered one:

Have every game with a RPG element have a New Game Plus mode Like Resident Evil 5 and Mass Effect.[/quote]

Last I heard Mass Effect 2 didn’t have one which is sad. I don’t know any consumer who doesn’t like New Game Plus.

Mass Effect 2 WILL have New Game Plus.
http://kotaku.com/5434952/wait—new-game-plus-is-in-mass-effect-2

I’m not sure on where New Game Plus got started but its one of the greatest thing to happen in gaming. Do you know if Assassin’s Creed 2 will have one?

[quote=“StealthMaster86”]Mass Effect 2 WILL have New Game Plus.

I’m not sure on where New Game Plus got started but its one of the greatest thing to happen in gaming. Do you know if Assassin’s Creed 2 will have one?[/quote]

Yeah the stuff back in June was confusing. They should have corrected that alot earlier however. I mean the game is releasing fairly soon and well I didn’t even realize they did have new gameplus I’ve been thinking they hadn’t since June.

[quote=“StealthMaster86”]Mass Effect 2 WILL have New Game Plus.

I’m not sure on where New Game Plus got started[/quote]

I wanna say… Squaresoft?

As for me, I just want a new (and good) JRPG. Turn-based or ATB.
Maybe another DS Final Fantasy remake.

And less shooters.

I read about New Game + but I still dont know what it means.

When you finish the game, you can restart with all the weapons and stats you had from the previous one, but all the enemies are a buttload stronger.

I’ve got something else to add. Wii third parties start promoting your games. Do what Mass Effect 2 is currently doing I keep seeing it in the news and I suspect this will continue to happen till February. What happened to the No More Heroes 2 media? You know some Wii games would get way more recognition if people knew they were coming. No More Heroes Desperate struggle has been dead for over a month and I’ve haven’t seen anything on it. I have been seeing new things on Mass Effect. Some games from Wii third parties being delayed has really put a damper on my opinion of them and I’m sure the general community about them. Yes the delays affect user interest in your game. Why are some of these games like Arc Rise Fantasia which should have been out quite a while ago now being delayed till summer? Third parties need to understand that they do things that kill their sales.

I’ve seen third parties complain about low sales. If you don’t market right how can you expect users to even know why the game is good. Not to mention the news of the Xbox 360/PS3 No More Heroes will hurt sales of No More Heroes 2. Not to be mean but I somehow think Third parties are off trying to analyze why Dead Space Extraction failed. I can honestly tell them why as soon as Wii owners knew it was a rail shooter the interest dropped off like crazy because Wii owners don’t want more rail shooters. I don’t understand publisher thinking beyond they were caught with Wii being popular and just threw anything in hopes of being popular.

I’m going to try and provide helpful ideas to Wii third parties and hopefully take it seriously.

Edit: I got logged out somehow so I’m going to write this list offline and post it again later.

1. Treat the Wii as the lead console it is not as if its in last. This is pretty simple make a game as you would for a lead platform developers are taking their main franchises and throwing them onto 360 and PS3 which is fine. Its showing Wii owners you really don’t think much of them which is why they don’t give a shit for your games. Some companies are pushing some of their bigger things on Wii but the problem is they create a lot of stuff with #3.

2. Promote your game with actual advertising. You can tell the difference between something like Mass Effect 2 and No More Heroes Desperate Struggle.

3. Niche games with odd themes aren’t going to sell anywhere. They’ll review high but, consumers won’t be crazy for buying it especially if it doesn’t follow #2. Some people are turned off by the black and white in Madworld for example.

4. Don’t genre change your series and create spin offs. Only the most powerful franchises can do it . Creating spin off’s aren’t always bad but realize what makes your game popular. I’m talking about things like Soul Calibur Legends, Castlevania Judgement, Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers. They may not be intended to be spinoff’s but sure makes it look like a cheap game compared to what people see as the main series not to mention is a different genre all together. Something like Mario Kart gets away with it because Mario characters are icons. Sometimes genre changing can be really cool and well done just understand that some genres will just piss people off mainly making a rail shooter on Wii is a deathmark.

5. Keep it exclusive. One thing I worry about for No More Heroes Desperate Struggle is that announcing the Xbox 360/PS3 version of the previous game makes consumers think they will also get the sequel whether its true or not. I’m sure this is because they want money but you are gimping your Wii game in the process. This goes back to the next point.

6. Realize that if your going multiplatform the Wii version won’t sell as well because the other consoles will have better graphics, ect. It makes the Wii version unimportant to a consumer. Sometimes there were even missing modes, ect which is just a bad signal to consumers. Wii versions should have more content since there is less focus on production vales.

7. Add more content. Something Wii games could benefit from more content. That is one thing to improve your game because honestly we know the graphics aren’t going to be as good as a 360/PS3 game. Your assets should be costing less and or taking less time meaning make more of them. Make a grander game and you’ll at least see Wii owners interested and your review scores will go up assuming its meaningful content. I’ve honestly wanted gaming companies to do this for a while Wii seemed like a good place sadly it didn’t happen.

8. Don’t think production vales can wow Wii owners. Sega and High Volatge went this way with conduit but you really can’t wow Wii owners with production values because it will always pale in comparison with a 360/PS3 game. You should be exciting them with smart use of the motion controls, lots of content, interesting gameplay, ect. I think most companies don’t have a clue.

9. Its not all about the controller. I know I just said that motion controls can wow people however doing them poorly makes your game look really bad. Some games honestly don’t need them in the slightest Smash Bros Brawl for example does just fine without motion. I understand that a big point about Wii was the motion control, however creating a good, interesting game should come first.

10. Stop with the Rail Shooters. I can’t believe I have to say this but this genre is dead leave it dead. I get that Umbrella Chronicles sold and was attractive to third parties, but you have to realize why Wii owners bought it in the first place. Wii owners were hoping that if they had shown support for Resident Evil they’d get an entry into the main series instead they got more rail shooters. I still don’t understand why Capcom won’t make a Resident Evil 4 style Resident Evil on Wii. It seems like third parties ignore Wii owner suggestions such as making a Castlevania even a 2d one for Wii, A Resident Evil game in Vein of Resident Evil 4, ect.