New Horror game on Wii...

Doesn’t it make you sad to know this will never sell?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177510
:stuck_out_tongue:

I heard its on rails which is why it will bomb.

Didn’t we know about this game in like… March or something?

Yeah the news story is out today however.

Where did you read that?

Hmm well there is a developer thing showing its not so maybe they really got it wrong.

Developer playing.

I do remember the control issues however and apparently it made you see everything in the game trying to scare you all the time. Maybe they got confused by footage that looked like it was on rails. They might have changed it for the American version to so beats me.

Looks pretty cool I like first person horror games.

Oh yeah, I remember this game being announced. (And by the way, Cursed Mountain was decent. I’d like to track down a copy to purchase for like $20 just because I’m a horror buff and it actually was one of those “I kinda like this but it’s not really good” games.)

Anyway, I’m keeping my expectations very low for this game mainly because developers really don’t know how to handle the survival horror genre anymore. The gameplay style upon which the genre was built upon is no longer “acceptable” by the gaming audience due to the fact that this generation of gamers has been spoiled by free roaming, over-the-shoulder camera angles, and more combat orientated gameplay otherwise they get bored. While it’s true that a horror game doesn’t need these elements to offer some scares (i.e: FEAR and Condemned being first person), you need everything else in the game to make up for the lack of dread caused by the removal of the inability to see your full environment. This is where developers are slacking.

The pass five or so years of horror games has lacked that claustrophobic, dreadful atmosphere that I remember getting from the late 90s to mid 2000s with games like Resident Evil series, Silent Hill series, Fatal Frame, etc… It just feels like developers aren’t taking as big of steps with screwing with the player like they use to. Shattered Memories has been the most enjoyable and satisfying experience for me horror wise in this time frame just because of how it played it. It’s psychological aspects dig deep into your mind and twist it, disturbing you in a way I haven’t seen in quite sometime. Then with your vision somewhat cut off with pure blackness around you except for your flashlight brought me back to the good ol’ days; and I loved how vulnerable I felt during the nightmare chase sequences. That’s how it’s suppose to feel.

I’ll keep my eye on The Calling for sure, but I won’t be expecting much just because I’ve seen the quality of the genre drop drastically.

[quote=“Kumiko”]Oh yeah, I remember this game being announced. (And by the way, Cursed Mountain was decent. I’d like to track down a copy to purchase for like $20 just because I’m a horror buff and it actually was one of those “I kinda like this but it’s not really good” games.)

Anyway, I’m keeping my expectations very low for this game mainly because developers really don’t know how to handle the survival horror genre anymore. The gameplay style upon which the genre was built upon is no longer “acceptable” by the gaming audience due to the fact that this generation of gamers has been spoiled by free roaming, over-the-shoulder camera angles, and more combat orientated gameplay otherwise they get bored. While it’s true that a horror game doesn’t need these elements to offer some scares (i.e: FEAR and Condemned being first person), you need everything else in the game to make up for the lack of dread caused by the removal of the inability to see your full environment. This is where developers are slacking.

The pass five or so years of horror games has lacked that claustrophobic, dreadful atmosphere that I remember getting from the late 90s to mid 2000s with games like Resident Evil series, Silent Hill series, Fatal Frame, etc… It just feels like developers aren’t taking as big of steps with screwing with the player like they use to. Shattered Memories has been the most enjoyable and satisfying experience for me horror wise in this time frame just because of how it played it. It’s psychological aspects dig deep into your mind and twist it, disturbing you in a way I haven’t seen in quite sometime. Then with your vision somewhat cut off with pure blackness around you except for your flashlight brought me back to the good ol’ days; and I loved how vulnerable I felt during the nightmare chase sequences. That’s how it’s suppose to feel.

I’ll keep my eye on The Calling for sure, but I won’t be expecting much just because I’ve seen the quality of the genre drop drastically.[/quote]

I’ve got to agree I made a resolution to try and be nicer to Wii third party devs. I’ll keep looking into this one and give it the benefit of the doubt to be nice for now.