Natal and the dark side of next-gen consoles

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=222182

Basically graphics are going to get to the point where its going to be negligible to make a difference. Then according to Muzyka of bioware they are then going to go for content which I assume means longer games but not necessailry something you need a new console for.

Believes Natal can get gamers Nintendo was not able to with Wii.

Also if it were like previous gen’s we’d be hearing of the Wii successor, Xbox 720, and PS4.

I personally love this quote

I think third parties are realizing they are going to need to get good at motion controls.

Bleh I don’t mind motion controls in a few games but I enjoy my traditional gamepad for the majority of the games I play.

To do it right they are going to have to make natal or whatever motion control mandatory for whatever it is they are going to use it for. Only in a few cases does Nintendo use the GameCube controller and I think they are drifting further and further from that or at least they are trying to.

care

Why not shouldn’t you want them to take Natal seriously? I know I want them to.

Its so late in the game I have a Wii I know what the shit is like. All this is, is MS buying time to make the console seem more new.

Bioware needs to get good at framerate before anything else. :confused:

This.

I really hope this motion control shit doesn’t take off as the norm for game development.

I mean, how would you do a shooter with Natal, anyhow?

[quote=“nothere413”]This.

I really hope this motion control shit doesn’t take off as the norm for game development.

I mean, how would you do a shooter with Natal, anyhow?[/quote]

Depends on how you walk and supposedly shoot. As for the rest of it I could see grenade motions and other things like that. Microsoft really needs to demonstrate how you’d move or shoot anything. Also depends on how they decide to program it because honestly developers could be doing quite a bit more interesting ideas with Wii but really most don’t put in the effort. I could certainly see you doing the motions in a DBZ game for the special attacks that’s easy enough to do since you could expect the player to mimic the characters I mean a Kamehameha is just a pullback of your hands not to mention the verbal component they have it would be even easier to determine a Kamehameha in Natal. You might look stupid but I could tell you what should happen for most of the attacks in DBZ on Natal then again I’m not sure what kind of programing it would take to determine the motion.

I agree with you for the most part.

I think “Motion Control” will be a new genre (If not already), but I’m sure handicapped people, or lazy fatasses like us will want to turn off the Natal feature all the time.

But some games cannot be duplicated on both the controller, and through motion sensing, like, for example, that weird “Breakout” game, where you are the paddle, and you move around to hit the balls. That’s very well a “Motion Sensing-Action” title. Due to the fact that it cannot be duplicated with a controller.

So yeah, I like it, and I hope it becomes what I envision, just a genre, not a revolution.

[quote=“JPjuice23”]I agree with you for the most part.

I think “Motion Control” will be a new genre (If not already), but I’m sure handicapped people, or lazy fatasses like us will want to turn off the Natal feature all the time.

But some games cannot be duplicated on both the controller, and through motion sensing, like, for example, that weird “Breakout” game, where you are the paddle, and you move around to hit the balls. That’s very well a “Motion Sensing-Action” title. Due to the fact that it cannot be duplicated with a controller.

So yeah, I like it, and I hope it becomes what I envision, just a genre, not a revolution.[/quote]

If its some kind of feature in most games it will never go anywhere for Microsoft and Sony.

Very true if they are not going to throw full support towards it they shouldn’t bother since it will just cost more. I would however like to see companies go the SSBB method of allowing me to use the controls that I find comfortable with some games making motion control mandatory.

I don’t want a gimmick like motion-control to EVER shift a change with future of gaming. Even though the concept gives innovation alot of opportunities, it can’t overcome a basic button controller’s necessities and it will always fall short in trying so. Motion control is always going to be limited.

I like Natal’s function with the simulator Brit-boy more than anything else honestly.

I agree that if they aren’t going to go full support on it its not really worth doing. As for going the SSBB method that isn’t that common on Wii and probably shouldn’t be a common thing in the case of motion controls. I mean people aren’t going to praise SSBB for motion controls the reason that game is popular is exactly the same as the other Smash Bros.

A big problem developers currently face with them is that the install base is currently 0. Microsoft has a distinct weakness with Natal in that they can’t package it with third party software if they do it can’t be more than once really since I assume you only use one Natal unit for a 360. Nintendo on the other hand has been busy having EA with Tiger Woods, Ubisoft with Red Steel 2, Themselves with Wii Sports resort getting Motion plus out there.

I think there are some games, like traditional fighters and action games in the style of DMC and Ninja Gaiden, that will probably always be better on a traditional controller than they could be with some sort of motion control system.

The danger we face with the advent of this new tech is the abandonment of tradition without good reason. I fully support the idea of 3D gaming. I think it has a lot of pontential, and it will continue to advance until we end up with holodecks, more or less. However, the traditional controller has existed in its various forms for the last 30 years or so for a good reason. It’s simple and it works well.

[quote=“Teh_Sarge”]I think there are some games, like traditional fighters and action games in the style of DMC and Ninja Gaiden, that will probably always be better on a traditional controller than they could be with some sort of motion control system.

The danger we face with the advent of this new tech is the abandonment of tradition without good reason. I fully support the idea of 3D gaming. I think it has a lot of pontential, and it will continue to advance until we end up with holodecks, more or less. However, the traditional controller has existed in its various forms for the last 30 years or so for a good reason. It’s simple and it works well.[/quote]

I would say depends honestly I would love to see a 3d Castlvania that lets you whip things but then we get babies saying they’d be tired. You’ve already said gaming controllers evolve and I don’t see any reason why they should stop now. I want Nintendo to come up with more ideas for inputs. I’d personally rather developers spend their time and money on better game mechanics rather than graphics or motion controls but that’s not what sells.

[quote=“barcster_2003”]http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=222182

Basically graphics are going to get to the point where its going to be negligible to make a difference. Then according to Muzyka of bioware they are then going to go for content which I assume means longer games but not necessailry something you need a new console for.[/quote]

Think more DLC
Think more pay for play
Think…
!!!

[quote=“Asrugan”]Think more DLC
Think more pay for play
Think…
!!![/quote]

Yeah they’ll probably do DLC for money. Whats the milk supposed to be? Consumers being milked?

Bingo.

Oh. I thought it meant something else…

God that kid looks like a spider…