Mentor-Student (Modern Warfare 2 Spoilers)

It was quite amazing to see the evolution of Soap. He’s a captain now and needless to say, you can see where Captain Price rubbed off on him. Much like price, he has about of that rough, grim humor with the driven force of needing to get the job done regardless of what needs to be done. (Oh we need to catch this guy? Let me tackle him out a second story window!)

I loved seeing the return of Captain Price… You could see where the years in the prison wore on him as his once sarcastic attitude has become a bit more bitter and even more grim, yet he still holds his “**** it, I’ll do it my way” attitude. (I literally yelled, “Oh ****!” when he disconnected the transmission between him and Shepherd and said, “Well, it looks like we lost connection.”

Seeing the two of them together, and with Soap being an actual character, was amazing. It’s a good example of the mentor-student idea. As soon as Soap rejoined with Price, we saw him step down from power due to the respect he has towards Price based on his experience and leadership skills. You could also see that level of care between them; it’s a friendship mixed with a bit of almost-fatherlike hints to it. They look out for each others’ backs and are right there to fight it off together.

Soap easily could have stepped away from getting involved with Price’s plans, but instead, he choose to stand by his superior’s decision. Even at the risk and cost of his life. At the end of the game, I was amazed and speechless. Price could have just let Shepherd shoot Soap right then and there before killing Shepherd himself, but no, instead he tackles him to the ground and fist fights in order to save Soap. Soap then returns the favor by using the last bit of strength he had, and at the risk of bleeding to death, to pull the knife out in order to save Price.

It was quite a touching moment to see Price bandage Soap up and begin to drag him towards the helicopter. He doesn’t tell Nikolai that they need to get out of there; he says they need to get Soap out of there.

I ****ing loved it all and would love to see more games handle characters in such a way.

That’s also some MW1 spoilars if I’m not mistaken…

Eh… You could argue yes but you could also argue no since mentioning the characters that appeared in both games isn’t technically spoiler. And while I hinted at a separation, I never gave out the details so it could still be a surprise.

Besides, I would assume that if someone read spoilers on a sequel to a game, they would have played the first… If not, I would assume they’d avoid the thread if they cared that much for the story.

[quote=“Kumiko”]Eh… You could argue yes but you could also argue no since mentioning the characters that appeared in both games isn’t technically spoiler. And while I hinted at a separation, I never gave out the details so it could still be a surprise.

Besides, I would assume that if someone read spoilers on a sequel to a game, they would have played the first… If not, I would assume they’d avoid the thread if they cared that much for the story.[/quote]
Sometimes you assume too much. :stuck_out_tongue:

But really, “lol CoD story” and all that.

Seeing Price again was fucking awesome. I’m still abit confused about why Price wanted to launch that EMP Missile. Over all it was great, The ending was badass and awesome. When it suddenly cut to the credits, I want it to keep going and wanted to see what was coming up next. While it’s hard at times during the game This is one of my most favoirte games of the year. It’s right up there with Batman: Arkham Asylum.

[SPOILER]The reason why Price launched the EMP Missile was to disable the Russian vehicles in Washington. The Americans were being overpowered so to say by the Russian helicopters and tanks what not; so even though the EMP did disable anything the Americans had as well, it at least gave them a better chance to defend themselves.[/SPOILER]

Ok. I guess I was not that clear on that.

[SPOILER]Yeah, basically. It’s also why Shepherd was so determined to talk Price out of it. But you know…

“It looks like we’ve lost connection.”

Fucking epic.[/SPOILER]

I just finished playing through the campaign in a single sitting of a little less than 5 hours (lol) and I had a lot of fun with it. I still find it incredibly annoying that you practically go blind when you take a few hits, and there were a couple of parts of the game (chasing that dude across the roofs of Rio de Janeiro, defending that cabin in Russia while the data gets downloaded) that I felt were pretty unfair not just because of how ridiculously outgunned I was, but because I could never find a decent defensible position. It seemed like every time I thought I had a decent spot, some asshole would flank me or shoot me from some spot that was clear 2 seconds ago and I’d die again.

Annoyances aside, I was quite happy with the return of Price and it was cool to watch him and Soap work together again, even though Soap had one of the dumbest fucking haircuts I have ever seen and I wished I had some clippers stashed in my gear so I could shave that stupid douchehawk off.

I’m sure Price gave him one look and then told him to shave it. :slight_smile: