Looks like it is time to order that new computer...

And use my 2011 iMac as a backup for non-online stuff.

But the question becomes… do I go with a 21.5" iMac or a 27" iMac?

I have room for both. Anyone care to chime in?

Thanks.

Not a Mac guy, so can’t help you there.

1 Like

get the big one

1 Like

There are rumors that Apple is updating the iMac this year with a new body and no spinning hard drives. Might be worth it to wait, even if you like the current model you should be able to get a refurbished one at a discount but still be able to get Apple Care.

1 Like

Apple has the option ot getting a SSD with the iMac, though at a cost. Currently (at least in the 27" model), they have Fusion Drives as the base model. I think the non-Retina Display models may be the only ones with a standard hard drive as an option, but I’m not sure at the moment.

The 2011 iMac I have still works fine, except for the internet browsing. No browsers support it anymore, unfortunately. And I don’t want to update it for fear of losing programs I own and having the system become sluggish.

I actually can’t even load Apple’s website well anymore, which I was able to do fine 2 months ago. Progress, I guess.

Speak of the devil…

Welp, I guess Apple scrapped their 24" iMac reveal intended for this monring some time last night.

Apple is moving away from Intel processors and will have a 2-year transitional phase; however, Intel processors will still be present in the next iMac launch… which is sometime in Qrt 4 2020. I don’t think I’m going to make it that long, so I should probably just bite the bullet now.

Not that anyone cares, but I ordered my new computer tonight.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t ship until Aug 12-19th.

:grimacing:

Don’t you live near a best buy or an apple store?

Best Buy only has base models, not custom builds. And Apple, apparently, either doesn’t ship them to their stores or is unable to due to COVID-19.

I ended up upgrading the processor, hard drive and keyboard. Once the computer arrives, I’ll manually upgrade the memory from Crucial.com or a similar site.