Live blog of Muramasa

I’m trying out Muramasa: The Demon Blade now and feeling a bit bored, I figured I would live blog my impressions while I played. I would love to do a stream and verbally talk, but alas, I lack a video camera with a microphone as well as a capture card.

So for now, enjoy my impressions in text form. Questions are also welcomed.

[align=center](All times in Central)[/align]

7:53: Starting up the game and watching the introduction cinematic. It’s beautiful sprite art style is even more elegant looking than Odin Sphere. The game is very colorful with wonderful, authentic Japanese music. All the animation seems smooth as butter too; I have a feeling I’ll be buying this shortly after I return my rental.

7:59pm After setting up some advertisements for my live blog (and the forums itself), I started the game. There’s two different difficulties:

Musa: Easy mode- Enemies are fairly work and the progression is steady; designed for people who are "not skilled at action games"
Shura: Hard mode- You’ll need to evade, defend, and use the Secret Arts more; designed for people who want a challenge

I picked ‘Musa’ just because I don’t want to get pissed at the game yet.

8:02pm Picking a character. It’s either Momohime (the chick) or Kisuke (the guy). Some pictures of the characters would be nice, but no, I just get Japanese writing and had to look up the character names!

8:17pm Played through the tutorial and working my way through the first level. The gameplay is smooth and solid with responsive controls. It’s very easy to pick up and just jam down on the ‘A’ button, but more avid players will pull off sweet combos with multiple techniques that are available in the game. However, I’m disappointed in the lack of ‘waggle’ so far. Makes it feel less like a Wii game…

8:21pm I feel stupid…I just found out how to put the map away after playing for about twenty minutes…

8:23pm Leveled up! (Ding! Congrats!) After the battle it lists the amount of time it took you to fight; this fight only lasted 22 seconds. It then tells you how much experience you gained from it as well as ‘mon’ which is the money. I got 36XP and 6 mon, by the way. You’ll also granted bonus experience depending on how stylized your fight was. I gained an extra 15XP due to a quick draw finish, not getting hurt during the fight, I repelled attacks, and did a first thrust victory…Whatever that is.

8:31pm Reached the first check point. A small cut scene is playing where Momohime is talking about feeling sick when at a cemetery and is a bit confused. The voice acting is in Japanese, keeping up with the style of the game. I’m quite pleased so far.

8:36pm Momohime’s soul was just removed from her body and replaced with (I guess) an evil spirit’s. Now a huge blue monk with one eye is attacking. The hell…?

8:44pm Beat the first boss and am uncovering more of the story; talking to some fox lady with a huge chest…

9:01pm I’m totally digging the soundtrack. I demand someone finds me the OST!

9:25pm Playing through level two and messing with the inventory. I’m trying to figure out how the Forge works…

9:39pm Done with Muramasa for now. Apparently you gather souls from your fallen enemies which are then placed into your blade at the Forge, giving it extra strength and abilities. You can also learn to cook health items.

Is it pretty basic as a J-RPG?

It’s not really a RPG. It’s more or less an action, hack ‘n’ slash with some RPG elements to it.

I see. what about the storyline?

Such as the male protagonist is an amnesiac samurai or ninja while the female is a princess and/or a vessel for a spirit/demon:?;

Is it annoying having to type everything as you go?

[quote]I see. what about the storyline?

Such as the male protagonist is an amnesiac samurai or ninja while the female is a princess and/or a vessel for a spirit/demon[/quote]

The story hasn’t really been revealed. You jump right into the action and get an idea of what’s going on as you go. Like I just now had Momohime lose her soul. So I’ll answer this in a bit when I know more.

Meh, yes and no.

I can type pretty quickly but I do wish I could stream myself playing while verbally talking and record it to show.

Its out?

Since yesterday.

Good liveblog Kumi, will read it all when you’re done. :wink:

[quote=“Andrex”]Since yesterday.

Good liveblog Kumi, will read it all when you’re done. :wink:[/quote]

Thanks, I’m done for now but might pick it back up a little bit later. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Kumiko”]
Meh, yes and no.

I can type pretty quickly but I do wish I could stream myself playing while verbally talking and record it to show.[/quote]

Suggestion: Do that next time. Fix the broken.

The problem is I don’t have a capture card. So I have no way to show what I’m doing.