Lets talk about the amazing cartoons that came out in the 90s.

Since for most of us were growing up in last decade, we should remissness how swell that time was and the awesome cartoons that came out that time.

We should be counted lucky we got to grow up and witness the awesome and original cartoons by channels like Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, WB, and Disney. It would only be amazing if another animation “renaissance” that captured the spirits of the modern classics of the 1990s for kids today can see.

As I loved just about everything Cartoon Network and Nick aired at that time, one show was drastically different and it’s definitely one of my most favorite series ever. It’s motherfuckin’ GARGOYLES!! :smiley:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

It was the best action-based cartoon of that decade to me, and it came from none other than Disney. Amazing story, and awesome characters. Good voice cast- Keith David is definitely the best. This cartoon is the old definition of epic. It’s what made me care about Shakespeare’s works, as most of Gargoyle’s story arcs relate to his stories.

It’s funny… I could appreciate Gargoyles, but I always had some minor problems with it, that, otherwise, I wouldn’t care about… except that everyone always talked about how great it was.

[youtube][/youtube]

Batman the Animated Series (AKA: The Adventures of Batman and Robin)… Best comic to cartoon translation I’ve ever seen.

[youtube][/youtube]

This is the show that got me into mainstream comics. The second half the series seemed to take a dip in overall storytelling quality, but up through the Phoenix Saga, the show really shined.

The X-Men cartoon, from what I heard, pretty much revived the X-Men’s popularity. It was a good show and I did have fond memories of it as well as Batman.

Actually, the Xmen comics were popular for a few years before that. Around the late 80s, early 90s they really took off. In fact, as I recall Xmen #1 (1991) was the first comic to sell more than 1 million copies in the first printing the week it was released.

According to Wikipedia, it has sold over 8 million since then.

[quote=“spooie”]It’s funny… I could appreciate Gargoyles, but I always had some minor problems with it, that, otherwise, I wouldn’t care about… except that everyone always talked about how great it was.

[youtube]m-u07UEDT5I[/youtube]

Batman the Animated Series (AKA: The Adventures of Batman and Robin)… Best comic to cartoon translation I’ve ever seen.[/quote]
Hell yeah. Probably the absolute best American cartoon to ever be aired on a children’s channel. Mark Hamill is still the best Joker.

Also I really loved X-Men Evolution. But that was in the 2000s.

Does Pokemon count? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“spooie”]Actually, the Xmen comics were popular for a few years before that. Around the late 80s, early 90s they really took off. In fact, as I recall Xmen #1 (1991) was the first comic to sell more than 1 million copies in the first printing the week it was released.

According to Wikipedia, it has sold over 8 million since then.[/quote]

Ah, ok. I know at one point, it did in fact decline in popularity but I’m not sure when it did.

Uncanny X-Men right now though is a disappointment, I would explain more but this isn’t a comic book discussion thread.

Also, Reboot and Beast Wars ftw if you want to count them as cartoons.

[youtube]G4jd0UWGPgY[/youtube]

This warms my SEGA-lovin’ heart. :slight_smile:

Of course! :slight_smile:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

^ Love that video

Anyhow, where’s the love for Dexter’s Lab and Ed Edd ‘n’ Eddy?

Why wouldn’t Reboot or Beast Wars be considered a cartoon?

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

And for fun… Beast Machines music video that I actually uploaded a few months ago. It only aired once. Awesome, under-credited followup to Beast Wars.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I uploaded Reboot season 3 intros a few years back on Gametrailers…

http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/reboot-season-3-chapter/72501

[youtube]KA0TS9l_nJE[/youtube]

That was just the tip of the iceburg of the Steven Spelberg Presents Cartoons.

I also watched 95% of Nickeloden shows also. Rocko, Ren & Stimpy, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, even Inspector Gadget was on Nick every once in a while.

[youtube]AOfAuQW1Lec[/youtube]

KABLAM!!!

People might want to be a wiseass and say that it wasn’t drawn or its created through CGI.

Cartoons can be cgi…

(see also Pixar, Dreamworks, ect)

Batman TAS is simply one of the best animated series ever made, certainly for those based on comics. The only stories I’ve seen in the same type of show were in Justice League (2000’s). Did anyone catch the episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold with batmite, and it’s “nudge nudge wink wink” to all the various incarnations of Batman, including TAS?

Animaniacs, too often over looked, it’s sense of humor was deeper than many saw at first glance. Same with Tiny Toons.

Watched the first oh, dozen or so eps of Gargoyles, but after missing a bunch I stopped watching it because I hadn’t been following the ongoing storyline.

hmm, thinking back, I watched more toons in the 90’s than I thought…

Bonkers/Marsupalami
Reboot (incredible show)
The Pirates of Darkwater (anyone else remember? in-freaking-credible show. loved it)
Speaking of pirates…Peter Pan and the Pirates
Powerpuff Girls
Darkwing Duck

and then there was Liquid Television, which I watched religiously
(which spawned things like Aeon Flux, Beavis and Butthead)
why oh why doesn’t Adult Swim try to get the right to this series!!!???

I did get into these a little at first, but:
Beavis and Butthead
South Park
Ren and Stimpy
Space Ghost Coast to Coast
King of the Hill

and actually…
started in 99’:
Spongebob
Family Guy
Futurama

I need to say… I hated Bonkers, which itself was an aborted attempt to make a Roger Rabbit show. That was really the death of The Disney Afternoon to me.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[quote=“Little_Goten”][youtube]G4jd0UWGPgY[/youtube]

This warms my SEGA-lovin’ heart. ^_^[/quote]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Also just as awesome Jaleel White is the best sonic voice actor.

[quote=“GillianSeed”][YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Also just as awesome Jaleel White is the best sonic voice actor.[/quote]

I didn’t want anyone to feel left out.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Also just as awesome.:cool;

It grew on me somehow, I didn’t like it at first either but it did seem to have a two level humor thing going on if you watched close enough.

As for Sonic, I’ve never gotten into sonic anything, games, comics, hell, the tv shows never even showed around here until one of the very recent ones (well ok, I think there may have been one of the Sat morning things, but I just never got into Sonic, it was in my view anyways, with less plot than the lamest mario brothers stuff. Maybe a little harsh, but it’s a little late now.

No one’s mentioned Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat yet?

Well anyways, as for the Sonic cartoons, Adventures was pretty much awful, and the only good reason for its existence is… well… you know…

but SatAm was freaking awesome.