How I Mine For Wi-Fi?

So I’m finally ready to try setting up my DS/Wii for online play, since my family finally invested in a wi-fi network.

Somebody mind explaining how to do it in slow, complete, easy-to-understand sentences?

You need to turn off WAP encryption. They do WEP but it’s the more vulnerable of the two encryptions…

DS should have an option when you first turn it on under settings. You can also configure it (I think) through any game’s Wi-Fi options menu.

Wii, you need to click in the bottom left “Wii Orb” and go to settings. There should be a wireless configuration and testing screen.

[quote=“Andrex”]You need to turn off WAP encryption. They do WEP but it’s the more vulnerable of the two encryptions…

DS should have an option when you first turn it on under settings. You can also configure it (I think) through any game’s Wi-Fi options menu.

Wii, you need to click in the bottom left “Wii Orb” and go to settings. There should be a wireless configuration and testing screen.[/quote]

Wasn’t there some attachment or something that needs to be hooked into the router?

Also, the DS set-up is the same for all of them right? I’m still on the original, too lazy/poor to upgrade.

DSi is different as it has support for WAP but DS games on it don’t support it…

DS Phat/Lite are the same, as are normal DS games on a DSi/DSi XL…

And no, the USB Wi-Fi adapter (which was discontinued) is for people without routers. If you have a router already you should be all set to go.

[quote=“AoR Final”]Wasn’t there some attachment or something that needs to be hooked into the router?

Also, the DS set-up is the same for all of them right? I’m still on the original, too lazy/poor to upgrade.[/quote]

If you’ve set up the Wireless network correctly no you don’t need anything else. Also use WEP encryption the devices don’t recognize WPA.

The settings screen is the one on the DS home page on the bottom, with the dual screens right? Because I keep looking through it, but I can’t find it.

EDIT: NVM, found it. My wi-fi connection is my access point, right?

Still, few questions…

What’s SSID?

How do I get a WEP key?

Do I have to do anything about my IP address?

EDIT EDIT: NVM again, wi-fi’s working now, but it’s saying it can’t connect. How close do you have to be to the wi-fi broadcaster for it to work?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Got it working, apparently my room’s too far from the wi-fi hub, I’m going to have to find a way to fix that.

[quote=“AoR Final”]The settings screen is the one on the DS home page on the bottom, with the dual screens right? Because I keep looking through it, but I can’t find it.

EDIT: NVM, found it. My wi-fi connection is my access point, right?

Still, few questions…

What’s SSID?

How do I get a WEP key?

Do I have to do anything about my IP address?

EDIT EDIT: NVM again, wi-fi’s working now, but it’s saying it can’t connect. How close do you have to be to the wi-fi broadcaster for it to work?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Got it working, apparently my room’s too far from the wi-fi hub, I’m going to have to find a way to fix that.[/quote]

SSID is what you called your wireless network your WEP is the encyrption password.

This might help

[quote=“barcster_2003”]SSID is what you called your wireless network your WEP is the encyrption password.

This might help[/quote]

Thanks. :slight_smile: