Horror Movie Month 2020!

I only really found a love of horror movies in the past year or two and I’m planning on watching at least 10 horror movies that I haven’t seen before, this October. Dunno if @Andrew still does his 30 days 30 movies thing or not.

Lets get some recommendations going.

I’ll start with some of my favorites that aren’t the obvious classics:

• In the Mouth of Madness
  • The People Under the Stairs
  • Wes Craven’s New Nightmare
  • The Night Stalker
2 Likes

I haven’t in a year or two but I’m fully on board with doing it this year!

I’ll have some movies to contribute in a bit. I really enjoyed doing this each October, even if about 80% of the time I didn’t finish my full list (it’s surprisingly hard to find 1.5-2 hours every day to sit down and watch a movie thirty times in a row.) A lot of the time I ended up finishing in mid-November.

2009 · 2011 · 2012 · 2013 · 2014 · 2015

Final(-ish) list! I combined the two Exorcist prequels since they’re basically the same movie and I’m mostly doing both for research purposes.

1. The Blair Witch Project [rewatch] - Review
  2. Gretel & Hansel (2020) - Review
  3. Midsommar - Review
  4. Us - Review
  5. Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
  6. Shin Godzilla
  7. Train to Busan
  8. Mandy
  9. Color Out of Space
  10. The Howling
  11. The People Under the Stairs
  12. The Night Stalker
  13. Lady in White
  14. What We Do in the Shadows
  15. Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)
  16. From Dusk Til Dawn
  17. Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
  18. Night of the Living Dead
  19. Dawn of the Dead
  20. Day of the Dead
  21. Exorcist III
  22. Exorcist: The Beginning / Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist
  23. The Lighthouse
  24. The Skin I Live In
  25. Thirst (2009)
  26. Hausu
  27. May (2002)
  28. Under the Skin
  29. Repulsion
  30. The Signal (2014)
  31. Trick 'r Treat [rewatch]

I have 8 picked out so far:
Train to Busan
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
Phenomena
Carnival of Souls
Green Room
Kill List
Us
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

1 Like

I don’t want to hype you too much if you haven’t seen it, but Autopsy of Jane Doe is one of my favorite horror films. A simple bottle film executed really well.

I haven’t seen those other 7 but I’ve wanted to, especially Train to Busan and Baby Jane. Good picks.

I like this, I miss this.

I have the whole Nightmare on Elm Street blu-ray set I need to watch, have never seen any so they are on the list. Also Friday the 13th Part 7 and 8. I have The Fog, the original to watch still.

I recently saw The Howling for the first time and while it is far from a perfect film, I think it is a good Halloween werewolf movie. I think it had unlimited potential. I somewhat would like to see what they ever did with future entries.

I’ll try to come up with a proper list. It will have some annual re-watches like Trick r Treat. I am still convinced that it is one of the best October/Halloween movies of all time.

1 Like

Added Midsommar to my list. It’s A24, so I don’t have any expectations, but people never shut the fuck up about it.

1 Like

I’ve tempered my expectations after hearing a few things, but that’s another I’ve been meaning to watch soon as well.

Yeah I have two movies I always try to watch every year: The Blair Witch Project (the good one) on Oct 1st and Trick r Treat on Oct 30th or 31st.

You all should watch Color out of Space.

1 Like

This looks fun but too bad it comes out Nov 13th too late for horror month.

1 Like

Similarly, Juliet Landau (Drusilla from Buffy/Angel) has a movie coming to theaters on Oct 31st but it won’t hit VOD until Nov too.

Also, I was only 20 seconds into this trailer when I thought, “Wow, this looks like Happy Death Day AKA #TRASH.”

Goddamn does it look formulaic, cringey, and even the color timing makes me want to throw up. I guess fucking the corpse of Groundhog Day wasn’t enough so now they’ve moved onto Freaky Friday?

I can only imagine his next film… BLUMHOUSE PRESENTS: Clueless, but horror! :roll_eyes:

If this didn’t have a washed-up Vince Vaughn it’d be even worse, at least they have one half-decent actor in the production. Probably where 95% of the budget went.

1 Like

I’m not in it for Vince anyone could probably be in that role honestly Vince was never great. The high school Freaky Friday murderer twist is what I’m here for.

1 Like

Somebody give Mine Games a shot. Don’t read anything about it, just watch, it is teens or early 20s people going to a cabin in the woods with a mine. Then it gets fairly unique imo.

Preliminary list:

2 Likes

Some more recommendations I need to watch:

• The Lighthouse
  • The Skin I Live In
  • Thirst
  • Hausu
  • May (2002)
  • The Vanishing
  • Under the Skin
  • Repulsion
  • Raw (2016)
  • The Signal (2014)
1 Like

I think I’m going to limit the scope of my Halloween choices this year removing classics and stuff older than 10 years. I really haven’t kept up with newer horror movies all that much. List coming soon.

Wow, a slasher movie that I actually want to see. That’s fucking rare.

Got a lot of recommendations on this list so I don’t know shit about a lot of them. Going by titles a lot of Zombie movies but that’s what the last 10 years had a heavy amount of like the Vampire age the previous decade. Peninsula doesn’t release until Oct 27th for digital.

1. Temple
  2. An English Haunting
  3. Midsommar
  4. Little Monsters (:ballot_box_with_check:)
  5. Peninsula
  6. Day of the Dead: Bloodline
  7. Mom and Dad
  8. Suspiria
  9. Hereditary
  10. The Gracefield Incident
  11. Cargo
  12. Office Uprising
  13. Summer Camp
  14. Tonight She Comes
  15. Blood Fest
  16. They Look Like People
  17. Cruel Peter
  18. The Wretched
  19. The Dark Tapes
  20. Get In
  21. 122
  22. The Lodge (:ballot_box_with_check:)
  23. The Platform
  24. Here Alone
  25. Ready or Not
  26. Pet Sematary (2019) (:ballot_box_with_check:)
  27. The Clovehitch Killer
  28. Hell Fest
  29. Into the Tall Grass
  30. The Night Eats The World
  31. Paranormal Demons
1 Like

I consider myself pretty savvy to the genre and I haven’t heard of like half of those. :open_mouth: I need to step my game up.

1 Like