Holy crap must have been due to PS3 slim looming I guess.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/30/japanese-hardware-sales-aug-17-aug-23-bottom-drops-out-edi/

Everything is down but at this point PS3 is almost dead.

That’s 2000 ignorant consumers who will be pissed when they see the Slim commercials soon…

Christmas is the real deciding factor if the PS3/Slim succeeds or fails.

:lol

This generation is not ending this year. It will keep going on for many more years.

Even for Sony succeeding probably means to at least not get outsold by 360 2 to 1 LTD and that probably won’t happen. The gap will be 10 million units or less and that’s in no way a failure.

Wel, it only does like… EVERYTHING!

This generation is not ending this year. It will keep going on for many more years.

Even for Sony succeeding probably means to at least not get outsold by 360 2 to 1 LTD and that probably won’t happen. The gap will be 10 million units or less and that’s in no way a failure.[/quote]

Coming from the PS2 it is, especially considering the PS3 wiped out all PS1 and PS2 profits, and then some. So I’d probably call it a failure on that level.

As far as “Well, we didn’t fail that bad when compared to 360!” No matter what, PS3 will still be in last place. Better luck next gen, Sony. :down;

[quote=“Andrex”]Coming from the PS2 it is, especially considering the PS3 wiped out all PS1 and PS2 profits, and then some. So I’d probably call it a failure on that level.

As far as “Well, we didn’t fail that bad when compared to 360!” No matter what, PS3 will still be in last place. Better luck next gen, Sony. :down;[/quote]

That is not true. PS2 profits yes. But I just saw that MS/Sony/Nintendo profitable chart thingy a few days ago and overall Sony is still profitable.

Either way it’s so silly to think about that as such a long LTD. MOST financial statements you’ll see year over the previous year comparisons or to the industry avg.

Next gen will be better since Sony and MS now have gimmicks of their own that offset Nintendo’s. The Wii experience is soon to be muttered down by the Saggle and Natal.

Now Nintendo has to go back to the drawing board AGAIN and try to find another blue ocean to sail in.

[SPOILER]And we’ll figure out a way to steal that too![/SPOILER]

[quote=“sbf717”]That is not true. PS2 profits yes. But I just saw that MS/Sony/Nintendo profitable chart thingy a few days ago and overall Sony is still profitable.

Either way it’s so silly to think about that as such a long LTD. MOST financial statements you’ll see year over the previous year comparisons or to the industry avg.

Next gen will be better since Sony and MS now have gimmicks of their own that offset Nintendo’s. The Wii experience is soon to be muttered down by the Saggle and Natal.

Now Nintendo has to go back to the drawing board AGAIN and try to find another blue ocean to sail in.

[SPOILER]And we’ll figure out a way to steal that too![/SPOILER][/quote]

As a whole company maybe Sony is doing well but as a games division I don’t know about you but I’ve seen where they’ve been posting losses. And considering you’ve lost the revenue you’ve made from the height of your popularity is pretty sad. I doubt Sony is happy with PS3 at all going from 140 million down to last place isn’t exactly happy for them they’ve got one saving grace and its that Wii isn’t a good place for third parties because they can’t port games to the other systems thats one thing I think keeping Wii from just killing them all the time. As for Microsoft and Sony stealing Nintendo’s thunder I doubt it from what I see they think that adding hardware solves everything and then they’ll try and copy the software. Nintendo clearly already has stuff even if you don’t like it such as Wii Vitality sensor and that’s in the same gen Nintendo can come up with whatever they want next gen because they get to design the console again and fix anything they want. Lets face it Natal is a nice little tech demo but so far nothings convinced me I can really play a game or give a crap beyond that ball game with is just a microsoft variation on Wii bowling. Sony has shown essentially what Nintendo’s been showing. They’ve been trying to convince you somehow they are going to have it in GOW3 and if they don’t they’ve failed really with two of them. There’s another problem you have two Wiimotes now what do you do and how much did you just confuse the customer? If they ship with just one they’ve really screwed themselves then its not even a full Wii controller.

Anyways if you say they’ll catch up to Nintendo next gen LOLz. You just said Nintendo would make the next thing and they’ll be behind again. As much as you believe their bull about the gen lasting 10 years I sure as hell don’t I give it maybe another 3-4 and that’s if a company doesn’t feel like screwing it up by launching early. At this point Nintendo doesn’t have to do much it should be more concerned about its userbase rather than Microsoft of Sony. Before they launched they were concerned remember the people bitching about Nintendo being scarce on details for fear of opponents copying them? Yeah that certainly wasn’t going to happen right? Since they are far enough in they figure at worst they can launch the next system and the cycle repeats again. Its not like its the first time companies have taken ideas Nintendo pioneered in videogames.

[quote=“sbf717”]That is not true. PS2 profits yes. But I just saw that MS/Sony/Nintendo profitable chart thingy a few days ago and overall Sony is still profitable.

[SPOILER]And we’ll figure out a way to steal that too![/SPOILER][/quote]

This was made in frigging 2005 and it’s actually come true. :lol

But seriously Nintendo also has something big for next gen. Their spending on R&D a year or two ago was something like 500% larger than the previous gen’s spending on the Wii. Slowny and M$ will always be playing catch up I guess. /neosis

[quote=“Andrex”]Coming from the PS2 it is, especially considering the PS3 wiped out all PS1 and PS2 profits, and then some. So I’d probably call it a failure on that level.

As far as “Well, we didn’t fail that bad when compared to 360!” No matter what, PS3 will still be in last place. Better luck next gen, Sony. :down;[/quote]

And Nintendo will continue to sit on top, WITH NOTHING TO FUCKING PLAY.

Fuck the owners as long as they are selling Wii’s.

[quote=“Groobmaster”]And Nintendo will continue to sit on top, WITH NOTHING TO FUCKING PLAY.

Fuck the owners as long as they are selling Wii’s.[/quote]

You can argue Nintendo’s got nothing to play but I’m just fine with Nintendo’s Wii games its the third parties that need to start doing better Mario, Metroid and Zelda are coming next year among other games Nintendo is making most of you probably don’t even realize. As for making money its a business and if you don’t make enough money your going to go under. Sony can sort of justify losing money because it can make it back on other stuff like movies which PS3 is to push blu-rays thats pretty much their goal with PS3 sure they’d like to make money but getting blu-rays out there is why Sony accepts it.

If you want to look at the Wii releases Nintendo is going to have they’ve got quite a 2010.

If Sony steals from Nintendo, then Microsoft completely Robbed both of them…

I can appreciate Microsoft more Sony just about blatantly rips. At least Microsoft comes up with its own stuff sometimes look at Natals scan feature for something they thought of on their own sure eyetoy scans cards but its not the same Microsoft was also the one I remember doing custom soundtracks, better online features, ect. I agree Microsoft rips too its the type of company they are they and Sony both try to leapfrog instead of making their own things.

I’m not surprised we have avatars, motion controls, ect on all the systems now its not much different than what happened with Analog, Rumble, ect.

@Andrex kind of sad people could predict this as far back as 2005 isn’t it?

[quote=“barcster_2003”]I can appreciate Microsoft more Sony just about blatantly rips. At least Microsoft comes up with its own stuff sometimes look at Natals scan feature for something they thought of on their own sure eyetoy scans cards but its not the same Microsoft was also the one I remember doing custom soundtracks, better online features, ect. I agree Microsoft rips too its the type of company they are they and Sony both try to leapfrog instead of making their own things.

I’m not surprised we have avatars, motion controls, ect on all the systems now its not much different than what happened with Analog, Rumble, ect.

@Andrex kind of sad people could predict this as far back as 2005 isn’t it?[/quote]

I think Natal is probably the first original thing MS has done…

I think they had custom soundtracks because of the harddrive and had the dashboard but I guess Sony kind of had their version thought of before that I really don’t know about that one. Either way so far I think they’ve done more original things than Sony the only thing I can think of is maybe two analog sticks otherwise…

Really? All they did was take a product people have forgotten, the PSeye, and just added voice to it.

I mean its more advanced, obviously, but I wouldn’t call it original what-so-ever.

Each system copies each other, thats just the game. When did Sony copy rumble btw? I couldve sworn the PS1 had rumble, and the N64 didn’t. (I think >_>)

[quote=“Groobmaster”]And Nintendo will continue to sit on top, WITH NOTHING TO FUCKING PLAY.

Fuck the owners as long as they are selling Wii’s.[/quote]

I have plenty to play. Of course I like most genres of games, so I don’t deliberately limit myself. Mature, Kiddy, Hardcore, Casual, etc., doesn’t matter to me as long as I have fun playing it, or it entertains me.

[quote=“JPjuice23”]Really? All they did was take a product people have forgotten, the PSeye, and just added voice to it.

I mean its more advanced, obviously, but I wouldn’t call it original what-so-ever.

Each system copies each other, thats just the game. When did Sony copy rumble btw? I couldve sworn the PS1 had rumble, and the N64 didn’t. (I think >_>)[/quote]

N64 had rumble but it sucked b/c you had to use batteries in the controller add-on thingy. >_>

If anything Sony stole rumble from Immersion not Nintendo

[quote=“sbf717”]N64 had rumble but it sucked b/c you had to use batteries in the controller add-on thingy. >_>

If anything Sony stole rumble from Immersion not Nintendo[/quote]

Lolz.

The PS1 originally came out with the Dual Analog controller, which was crappy. Then the N64 rumble pack came out, Sony built two of the motors into the PS1 controller, added analog sticks (another N64 innovation™), and released it mid-life as the PS1 DualShock Controller.

Dual Analog:

[quote=“JPjuice23”]Really? All they did was take a product people have forgotten, the PSeye, and just added voice to it.

Each system copies each other, thats just the game. When did Sony copy rumble btw? I couldve sworn the PS1 had rumble, and the N64 didn’t. (I think >_>)[/quote]

Sorry man you are uninformed the N64 did have it. I mean we can all look back to the boomerang to see Sony’s version of what they PS3 controller would have been before they decided “screw it we’ll stick with PS2 controllers till we can copy Nintendo”.