Hey, anyone ever had sleep paralysis?

I haven’t or I can’t recall any. Which shouldn’t be the case because those prone to SP tend to vividly remember their experiences. I’ve never had one. And they all say it’s fucking scary to be in, which is why I’m so intent to see if I can induce myself into sleep paralysis. I want to see the big deal about it.

It’s more common than I thought it would be. I’m so anti-SP, I even get insomnia but no SP.

So anyway, I’m sure some of you do or did get SP. If so how do you usually get it? Is there any tips you can give that can help a SP-virgin like me into getting myself into one? Or is it just involuntary?

Also, if you could share some of your SP stories because that stuff is interesting to me.

Is that when you’re having a nightmare but can’t do anything?

It’s when your mind is awake but your body is still asleep. It takes some time for your brain to connect to the rest of your body so it can snap itself back to normal and you are awake. People say they are still in a dream state so they can hallucinate. Usually it’s around the fear of you not moving your body when you want it to.

I actually did a few weeks ago. It was my first time having it, and I although I didn’t hallucinate, I was in a real state of panic. I tried to move my body, and I couldn’t move, and it felt painful. Afterward, I felt relieved, and I was breathing heavily.

I don’t think I’ve had this IRL, but it’s definitely happened a few times in my nightmares. Just couldn’t move, talk, or scream…

I experienced it off and on for quite a few years, but nothing in recent memory.

Isn’t the belief behind sleep paralysis is that a demon is holding you down…?

Yes it is. It’s also behind the myth that people are being probed by aliens.

Well get to pissing off some demons and see if it works. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay I’ll try that. How do I piss you off?

Hmm never managed that, but I have hit a few times on lucid dreaming, which when you figure it’s happening is cool as hell. Unfortunately it wasn’t when I was trying for it, and I’m not able to do it regularly, it was random happenstance.

I laughed. :lol

I fall into sleep paralysis quite a bit but I never knew that that’s what it was called. My mind is awake frequently when I dream, that’s why I can kind of “control” my dreams, so to speak. Like I can make myself fly.

I remember I had this dream where I kept trying to fly but all I could do was glide a little bit and then I’d fall. I also have dreams where I tell myself it is a dream but I don’t wake up. Kind of explains why I always wake up stressed…

[quote=“Daystar”]I fall into sleep paralysis quite a bit but I never knew that that’s what it was called. My mind is awake frequently when I dream, that’s why I can kind of “control” my dreams, so to speak. Like I can make myself fly.

I remember I had this dream where I kept trying to fly but all I could do was glide a little bit and then I’d fall. I also have dreams where I tell myself it is a dream but I don’t wake up. Kind of explains why I always wake up stressed…[/quote]
That actually sounds like lucid dreaming instead of sleep paralysis. I don’t know if the two can collide or how they could. But yeah, that lucid dreaming and it must be awesome.

I have a hard time dreaming about anything.

Just happened to me not even a half an hour ago for the first time.

Lucky I read this thread, or else I’d be freaking out bad right now.

I’ve been watching a lot of Dexter (the showtime series) lately, and my dream was that I was living a life like his, in that I had a huge secret that very few people know about. The only one who knew was my sister, who was an adult (as was I) in the dream. And the whole time, in the back of my head, Harry, from the show was telling me what to do to not get caught. My secret wasn’t that I was a killer though, it was that I’d embezzled a great deal of money from a large corporation. So, this lady walks up to me on this bus and starts talking about how she knows what I’ve done and is telling everyone there about my dream, when Harry says to me in my head “This is a dream. You have to wake up.” So I forced my eyes open as hard as I could, and there I was, lying on the couch in my living room. But I didn’t know where I was, what was happening, and I was disoriented as hell. And I could hear all these sounds from different parts of the dream I’d just had playing out in my head. I couldn’t move any part of my body and I felt trapped where I was. But slowly, the sounds faded away and were replaced by the sound of the radio that was playing in the other room. Then I closed my eyes and fell back to sleep. The dream started playing out again, but this time I forced myself awake on all fronts, by violently thrashing my body. I woke up falling off the couch.

tl;dr Just happened to me. Not fun.