GameStop not dead. Used games will continue.

eurogamer.net/articles/2013- … used-games

Sony backs down like a fucking coward yet again, no way MS will implement it now.

Looks like GameStop will survive another generation but after THAT you’re toast buddy :neutral_face:

Well that’s nice.

Welp, PS4 just officially pulled ahead of the Xbox successor.

Nevermind! Awesome!

Yeah if Sony aint doing it MS aint doin it either, another 5-6 years of Gamestop fuckery. I dont really deal with gamestop anymore though so i dont give a fucks

Good. Let the digital revolution take its natural course.

If you actually care about fair use and consumer rights in general, then yeah, this is great news. Not that we don’t already put up with these draconian measures on PC, but that’s a fascinating double standard that people have. You have to love normalcy bias.

But, as I’ve said before, they were not going to do this. It’s too much all at once for this market to bear. The lemmings are walking off the cliff, but they’re obese and very slow, so it’s just going to take longer to reach the edge.

Good for them, they’ve wised up to what gamers actually want.

eh… I would be fine with it. I neither buy, nor sell used games.

I actually wonder if this mean that MS will do it. It seems like it would be a great way to steal all the developers. After all, from a developer point of their would be a huge benefit to become an exclusive to a console that prohibits used games.

hmmm, just had an interesting thought. What if its not the PS4/720 that banns used games, what if its merely a capability that it has built in and they leave it up to the developers to turn it on or off for specific games.

They’ll probably introduce a “finder’s fee” for it. Buy a used game wherever… and then pay an additional $5-$10 fee to actually unlock it on each system. Much like they now have for online codes… except the system will have to look to recognize each new disc. I imagine they’ll give you an activation serial key within the package and anything after that, you will be prompted to pay a fee to continue on another system.

Then again, that’s the digital revolution some of the posters here love.

That would certainly fall under the rumored “always online” next Xbox. And, it would almost be the same as turning off multiplayer components. I mean you can’t play The Darkness online. But, in next-gen if your theory is true we won’t be allowed to play the whole thing if a developers just flips a switch. I’m guessing something like this wouldn’t happen right away. Maybe 2 years after a game’s release if a developer isn’t making enough money to justify spending resources but it would suck so much for us consumers.

I place always online in a whole different category, mainly the category of something I will never use unless the hardware is free.

Microsoft has been pushing the “Always Online” movement since the creation of the 360. That’s why Achievement points exist. I believe it was at the 2005 E3 Press Conference when they said that every game on the system MUST feature some sort of online component. It was the beginning of the initiative to make everything online. How far they go in the future remains to be seen.

We all know about how the crappy “must be online” DRM that Ubisoft and Capcom, among others, had done in recent years.

Yeah if you ever have the Xbox 360 offline, it looks like a power outage on Times Square. Even the game labels are accessed through the internet. How retarded and inefficient.

This doesn’t stop the publishers from boycotting Gamestop.

I’ve believed that the publishers should form an alliance, sit down with the businesses that sell used games and ask them for a cut of each used game sold. If they don’t agree, we’ll simply pull our catalog out of your store. Simple.

I wonder how much online passes actually impacted the used game market statistically

I knew they wouldnt follow through, same crap happened last time.

Publishers, I can’t imagine, would ever boycott Gamestop directly. Most of them rely on Gamestop for sales, regardless of used game sales. Not to mention all the free publicity from Game Informer, one of the few print magazines devoted to gaming still around.

[quote=“Kanaye”]This doesn’t stop the publishers from boycotting Gamestop.

I’ve believed that the publishers should form an alliance, sit down with the businesses that sell used games and ask them for a cut of each used game sold. If they don’t agree, we’ll simply pull our catalog out of your store. Simple.[/quote]

I agree but what publisher could afford losing Gamestop? It certainly wouldn’t be any of the big 3 cause then i’m sure Gamestop wouldn’t carry their consoles either.

Would like to know this too.