DRM disputes leading to monopolized digital sales?

[align=center][/align]

We all can recall the issues Digital Rights Management (DRM) has caused in the past regarding games like Spore and Sims 3. Now, we’re seeing a new dispute wise. If Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2’s new $60 price and lack of dedicated servers wasn’t enough to get the PC crowd fired up, this new news might be enough to make them explode.

Activision currently has a policy regarding their games being sold via digital copies: mandatory installation of Valve’s Steamworks. What this means is that each copy must be installed on your PC which enables Activision to use DRM and other standard save-data management.

So what’s the problem you ask? Well the conflict doesn’t arise from the customer base. Surprisingly, these outcries are being screamed on the top of the lungs’ of the retailers. Direct2Drive, IGN’s digital distribution site, has stated that they are refusing to sell copies of Modern Warfare 2 due to the fact Activision is making DRM mandatory.

“We don’t believe games should force the user to install a Trojan Horse,” stated Direct2Drive. The retailer has also had previous disagreements with Steam earlier in the year. They have started to publishers that they will not be selling games bundled with Steam’s storefront until Valve agrees to stand against DRM and similar forced features.

While I admire Direct2Drive for standing in what they believe in, a part of me cannot help but feel that they are beginning to dig their own grave by handing Steam a monopoly…

After all, while people might hate and bitch about DRM, if only one place has it available, people will buy it.

Source: Kotaku

[quote=“Kumiko”][align=center][/align]

We all can recall the issues Digital Rights Management (DRM) has caused in the past regarding games like Spore and Sims 3. Now, we’re seeing a new dispute wise. If Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2’s new $60 price and lack of dedicated servers wasn’t enough to get the PC crowd fired up, this new news might be enough to make them explode.

Activision currently has a policy regarding their games being sold via digital copies: mandatory installation of Valve’s Steamworks. What this means is that each copy must be installed on your PC which enables Activision to use DRM and other standard save-data management.

So what’s the problem you ask? Well the conflict doesn’t arise from the customer base. Surprisingly, these outcries are being screamed on the top of the lungs’ of the retailers. Direct2Drive, IGN’s digital distribution site, has stated that they are refusing to sell copies of Modern Warfare 2 due to the fact Activision is making DRM mandatory.

“We don’t believe games should force the user to install a Trojan Horse,” stated Direct2Drive. The retailer has also had previous disagreements with Steam earlier in the year. They have started to publishers that they will not be selling games bundled with Steam’s storefront until Valve agrees to stand against DRM and similar forced features.

While I admire Direct2Drive for standing in what they believe in, a part of me cannot help but feel that they are beginning to dig their own grave by handing Steam a monopoly…

After all, while people might hate and bitch about DRM, if only one place has it available, people will buy it.

Source: Kotaku[/quote]

Honestly I personally don’t like DD as a whole this just makes it worse I appreciate some of those online retailers saying they want this game without the DRM but honestly I don’t think that’s going to happen and major blow to DD for me just shows me I really don’t want this to happen.

lol, PC Gaming

PC is the only place to play an RTS.

Well then… MW2 is unneeded.

I like Steam, but I’m not fond of it being used to monopolize games and that goes for every other digital distributor too.

It’s the current business model for Steamworks. Valve is providing it for free and they hope to make their money back with people buying more games on Steam.

It’s not the only DRM solution out there, Activision could have picked from dozens and could have picked more than one DRM solution if needed.

This issue lies more with Activision than it does Valve >_>

[quote=“sbf717”]It’s the current business model for Steamworks. Valve is providing it for free and they hope to make their money back with people buying more games on Steam.

It’s not the only DRM solution out there, Activision could have picked from dozens and could have picked more than one DRM solution if needed.

This issue lies more with Activision than it does Valve >_>[/quote]

Well then there is the dedicated server issue.

Why did the translator do a note instead of just writing “plan” in the first damn place?

And that makes them hypocrites who are not only unwilling to stand by their principles, but supporters of monopolization.

If there’s only one place to buy something, and you think their business model is unethical, put them out of business by simply forgoing the item in question.

[quote=“Teh_Sarge”]And that makes them hypocrites who are not only unwilling to stand by their principles, but supporters of monopolization.

If there’s only one place to buy something, and you think their business model is unethical, put them out of business by simply forgoing the item in question.[/quote]

People are too impatient for that.

Though I’d love to teach them a lesson.

[quote=“nothere413”]People are too impatient for that.

Though I’d love to teach them a lesson.[/quote]
Then they deserve whatever crap publishers throw on them.

[quote=“Teh_Sarge”]And that makes them hypocrites who are not only unwilling to stand by their principles, but supporters of monopolization.

If there’s only one place to buy something, and you think their business model is unethical, put them out of business by simply forgoing the item in question.[/quote]

Sadly doesn’t work. Even for me if I wanted the game bad enough I’d put up with whatever bull I had to go through. As much as I’d want people to boycott I know it isn’t going to happen.

Then open wide and enjoy having your mouth shat in. Boycotting doesn’t work because of people like you.

So you are telling me you wouldn’t buy an awesome game because it had things you were upset about? I honestly think if you wanted it enough it wouldn’t matter.

You think wrong. If I had a particular problem with a company’s practices, I wouldn’t buy anything of theirs no matter how appealing it was to me.

These publishers that utilize such draconian usage restrictions in their games won’t change unless they are sent a clear message that their behavior will not be tolerated. Petitions and “public outcry” are meaningless if publishers are still hauling in the profits. The only way to force them to play nice is to leave them bankrupt by boycotting their products if they step out of line.

[quote=“Teh_Sarge”]You think wrong. If I had a particular problem with a company’s practices, I wouldn’t buy anything of theirs no matter how appealing it was to me.

These publishers that utilize such draconian usage restrictions in their games won’t change unless they are sent a clear message that their behavior will not be tolerated. Petitions and “public outcry” are meaningless if publishers are still hauling in the profits. The only way to force them to play nice is to leave them bankrupt by boycotting their products if they step out of line.[/quote]

You say that because its not interesting enough to you. You’ll crumble if its a game you care for. Personally I don’t care for Modern Warefare II but I could see myself putting up with inconvenient things for certain games I already kind of do in the sense I bought a Wii its graphics aren’t great and I know that but that’s not all games are about. I also agree that having people not buy the game would be the ultimate way to send the message however I know this won’t happen just like I can’t tell people to stop buying madden every year there are just people who will do it anyways because they want it enough.

Did you even read my last post? I made it very clear that I would pass on any game if I had a problem with usage restrictions, regardless of how much I wanted it. I’m not willing to cast aside principle just to get what I want in the short term. I don’t give a rat’s ass if I’m the only person in the world boycotting something, I’m still going to do it.