Converting video for the PSP

So after my flight this morning, I realized that it was stupid of me to not bring any UMB discs with me. I was too tired to really play anything and spending two hours sitting there listening to music while staring out the plane window was alright for about ten minutes. I’d like to put a couple videos, or at least an hour and a half long, movie onto my PSP so I have something else to do on my way back next Thursday.

I’m aware that I’ll need to create a video folder on my PSP to hold the folders, but I believe the PSP only supports certain formats. So, my question is…What format and how do I convert it?

Is there any recommended programs to convert the video into the correct format?

I have been Googling the matter, but I’d like some first hand experience over some random site that says to, “download this”. I don’t exactly trust it.

Look for PSP Video 9. Thats what I use.

You need to convert to AVC mp4 for PSP, right? The same for PS3?

Try to find a good download of Xilisoft Video Converter. It’s the reason I have Higurashi on my ps3.

[quote=“nothere413”]You need to convert to AVC mp4 for PSP, right? The same for PS3?

Try to find a good download of Xilisoft Video Converter. It’s the reason I have Higurashi on my ps3.[/quote]

Actually the PS3 supports DivX AVI files as well :Q

Handbreak is the one I see most often recommended on techy sites. I’ve used it a few times, it’s OK and has a good amount of codec support and options for controlling the converted video.

Next Video Converter. This thing is fucking amazing. It does an excellent job and it covers virtually every format. I use it to rip DVDs.

Now what I really want is something that’ll convert pieces of vids into GIFs. Something not made by Adobe and free.

I think I used to have one called “Smart GIF Creator”.

I use(d) GIMP.

GIMP’s vid support is crappy though I thought?

Go with PSP Video 9.

It does a handy job of converting, naming, and putting everything in the right folder. The PSP is notorious for having a very strict set of rules that you have to follow when putting video on and PSP 9 takes care of all that for you.

You can set the quality of video and audio you want the final video to have, which is useful because you can probably compress most videos you have and not notice a drop in quality because of the smaller screen. It also keeps a log of everything that’s converted so you just go through the program to put videos on.

I used that one for a few years when I did alot of videos on my PSP. I was under the impression that Media Go! did something for converting videos now though.

If a video’s not AVI or MPEG, I convert them so and bam, there I go.

It is a slight annoyance.

You know, I don’t know if it’s my system or what, but I’ve never been able to get a video working properly on my PSP.

My Ipod, however, works fine.