Challenged Book Censorship

Once again I’ve read something on Wikipedia that makes me scratch my head and ask “Why, god, why?”.

This time it’s about the most commonly challenged books in the US.
LINK

Allow me to cite some examples of books that really stood out as being very unneeding of any censorship at all.

I mean, mind the few romantic parts, this book isn’t all that bad, and you can really teach a kid a lot about life and government with it. (Provided the kid is willing to learn or even read the book in the first place)

-Flowers For Algernon

This confuses me to no end. According to the page for the book itself, it’s challenged due to the way Charlie is treated while he’s still Mentally Retarded and about his confusion with sexuality after his increase in intelligence. I fail to see how that constitutes any sort of challenge or ban. All in all, I came away from this book with a feeling of really having learned something about life, and I’m sure plenty of other people have, as well.

-Bridge to Terabithia

Newsflash: Death is real. It happens. And not everyone cares if you use the word “lord” outside of prayer, because not everyone believes in “lord”.

-The Goosebumps Series

lolwut? :confused;

-Harry Potter

This is another lolwut. Fricking brainwashed religious nuts believe that this book teaches devil-worshipping or some crap. I don’t know, but it’s ridiculous.

-A Wrinkle in Time

This book was amazingly creative and this is another example of religious nuts not wanting their beliefs challenged in any way. (Though this book DOES reference The Bible and Jesus several times, it is in a generally positive way).

-My Brother Sam is Dead

This book actually can teach you alot about the decisions you make. If anything, this book is probably being challenged for telling kids the raw truth about growing up.

-A Seperate Peace

I might be a bit biased on this, since this is one of my favorite books, but I honestly see nothing wrong with this book. Morally, it’s a bit in the grey area, but it’s another book that you can learn about yourself and others from.

-To Kill a Mockingbird

WHY?! The only reason I can honestly think of is that some people don’t want their children learning about how things used to be for blacks in the post-civil war era. Learning about tolerance from the characters in this book is something every High School kid should experience.

-Where’s Waldo?

I’m not even gonna say anything.

-The Witches

Another “there is nothing wrong with this book” book.
Except for the fact that it’s about magic, I see nothing wrong. It’s actually a REALLY good book.

-The Catcher in the Rye

Dirty Language. Is it really that bad? If you’re immature and stupid, sure it is. But if you are a young adult that can handle things like that without being gay about it, it isn’t in the slightest. Get over it. This book is phenomenal.

Other books I don’t feel like going into about but I still see as not needing challenged:

-The Giver
-Captain Underpants (DOH-HO, IT’S DIRTY FILTHY SMUT)
-Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret
-The Great Gatsby
-How to Eat Fried Worms
-Slaughterhouse-Five
-A Day No Pigs Would Die
-I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou’s words are beautiful)
-Any other Roald Dahl book (I mean, WTF?)
-Lord of the Flies
-Jumper
-Anything I missed

/rant

tl;dr version: No, screw you… I wrote all this, read it.

Some people say that kids should read more but once the kids read something they dont like they say “Dont Read That!”

It all comes down to basically is that people don’t like the idea that other people can think freely for themselves, because they want to tell them what they can do and think.

Guy I work with, nice guy, doesn’t like Harry Potter or anything Harry Potter related. He doesn’t mind if OTHER people like it, but he doesn’t like it, because the people he looks to for his faith disapprove of it for promoting “witchcraft and demons.” I said, “well, you know, it’s make believe. It’s a story. Nothing more. It’s not promoting anything.” And he was all like how it promotes witchcraft and non-natural god-created creatures. And I was like “dude, you told me you love Spider-Man… how can you like Spider-Man and not accept Harry Potter? Spider-Man was bitten by a spider and mutated into a spider-human hybrid who fights other mutants and monsters. How is that any less different than Harry Potter defying the laws of god?” His response was that Spider-Man was make-believe, while people devote religions to Witchcraft and there aren’t any religions devoted to Spider-Man.

My response was… Have you EVER been to a Comic Convention?

:stuck_out_tongue:

What…?

Oh yes the voodoo worshiping or whatever the religions believe you do if you like fiction. I remember reading that stuff and it was good. Honestly I like reading and I’m not going to let a religion or anyone else tell me I can’t read something. I also remember when people were saying Pokemon was satanic. I personally love fiction it gives us good stories. Only thing I can say about some of those books or stories is they may not be age appropriate.

Some people are really afraid of some of the messages and details of books. Honestly regions hate secular humanism because it rejects the notion of gods. It basically rejects everything because last I checked regions have at least one god. Its kind of strange in that religion dislikes the supernatural yet its pretty much rooted in the idea.

Where’s Waldo means someone was having to much fun editing that list.

I don’t know I wouldn’t have thought Pokemon was no no for religions but then I realized it dealt with supernatural things which religion hates except when it uses it.

Nope.

Here

It’s true.

That site’s probably satire like The Onion… :stuck_out_tongue:

The American Library Association? Like The Onion?

:Q

I was unaware…

People are too prude with what’s in the content of any book, hell if it even involves something minor like Where’s Waldo?, then they will try to ban it to no end. I think people need to read any of these books as soon as possible to understand the content and how normal or real it can actually be, even if its something entirely fictional.

THE ONLY BOOK I READ IS THE BIBLE. EVERY DAY.

But that has rape and torture and genicode and all those things that die hard “Christains” would call bad and should not be read…

I’ve just got to agree with George Carlin