Books ✪

Any interesting or epic books you guys and gals currently have your faces buried into?

I have been on a mostly comic book diet as of late but really want to get back into some thick novels. I have been wanting to read the Star Wars Legacy of the Force series and Hyperion which Mr. Aerindel recommended about a year ago to me.

In fact I might get the first volumes soon and begin. I already have the second Star Wars one as a gift from a friend but it was the second and not the first so I haven’t started it yet.

Been wanting to read Science Fiction lately because as a writer I may dabble into that genre a bit. I have tried in the past and it wasn’t what I was hoping for.

Strange this is my first thread ever here but here it is! On books!

i NEED 2 read moar. Im the dumbest ngga alive I swear 2 god.

Huh.

Anyways I’ve been putting off reading A Song of Fire and Ice, I know that when I get into it I’ll be reading it nonstop trying to catch up so I need to mentally prepare myself and carve some time out.

I also want to get into the Dark Tower series eventually, always liked Stephen King and Stealth makes it sound pretty hype.

Otherwise right now I’m reading nonfiction, in the middle of “The Lean Satartup” by Eric Ries and after that I’m jumping straight into “Steve Jobs” by Walter Isaacson.

I’m a big cyberpunk/space junkie, my favorite author is Richard Morgan and I have practically devoured everything he has written since I first picked up Altered Carbon.

I’ve been trying to branch out more though so I decided to start reading Peter F Hamilton’s stuff. I recently finished the books in the Commonwealth Saga so now I’m reading The Dreaming Void. His vision of the future pretty much aligns with my own, lots of planets, strange plant/animal life but very little of life on the same level of intelligence as humans. He tends to drone on and on trying to find a point but ultimately I enjoy his books.

When my head isn’t in space I try to read more down to earth stuff, so I’m also reading “Why Is The Penis Shaped Like That??”. It’s basically a scatter-shot of going into male sexuality, but it’s not as interesting as I hope.

Unless my sister can give me her Game of Thrones book, the next book I’ll read will be The Joke’s Over: Bruised Memories: Gonzo, Hunter S. Thompson, and Me.

I went on a pretty deep Marvel Essentials binge with X-Men and X-Factor comics last year when I started my diabetes diet. Right now I just recently bought some Transformers and GIJoe comic collections (though I’ve never read any GIJoe comics).

I’m not too much of a novel guy, so I can’t really speak for that right now. I did start the Steve Jobs book last year, but never got too, too far into it. Too much on my mind pulling me in a billion different directions.

[quote=“spooie”]I went on a pretty deep Marvel Essentials binge with X-Men and X-Factor comics last year when I started my diabetes diet. Right now I just recently bought some Transformers and GIJoe comic collections (though I’ve never read any GIJoe comics).
[/quote]

First off in terms of comics, I am a trade paperback guy so I read everything late.

I have been reading some New 52 series’ lately and Uncanny X-Force which is fantastic. In Uncanny X-Men I am at Schism but haven’t gotten it yet.

Been reading some Vertigo as well. Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run and The Losers.

From Hell from Alan Moore is my personal favorite book of any genre of all time right now.

I read boring nonfiction books about politics. Here’s my favorite ones:

Greedy Bastards by Dylan Ratigan, about how corporations and greed are corrupting politics

Bailout Nation by Barry Ritholtz, detailed explination about none other than the bailouts, and how we were ripped off.

It’d be nice if I didn’t always read books that just piss me off. If I have any free time, hopefully this spring break, I’m going to read Ender’s Game. Never read it, but I know it’s one of the must reads.

I wish I had more reading time, but I finally finished listening through “How We Decide” by Jonah Lehrer. It’s an interesting and accessible survey on the neuroscience of decision-making and how to look at improving that skill.

going through garth ennis’s preacher right now

next book i read will probably be jg ballard’s the atrocity exhibition, either during spring break or the beginning of summer

[quote=“NorthStarKen”]

First off in terms of comics, I am a trade paperback guy so I read everything late.

I have been reading some New 52 series’ lately and Uncanny X-Force which is fantastic. In Uncanny X-Men I am at Schism but haven’t gotten it yet.

Been reading some Vertigo as well. Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run and The Losers.

From Hell from Alan Moore is my personal favorite book of any genre of all time right now.[/quote]
alan moore’s run on swamp thing is my favorite comic series ever. also i got from hell for christmas

For comics I’m just about to start Morrison’s Batman Inc run (both pre and post New 52) because of all the hoopla over Robin RIP.

Well I read comics, but lately I’ve been retreating into my childhood books of the Redwall series(think lotr with mice).

Currently splitting time between A Clash of Kings and The Republic.

Eh I can’t stand Morrison and don’t get all the hype about him. Half of Batman’s dialogue doesn’t even sound like stuff Batman would say IMO.

Also there are like 17 New 52 Issues of certain Batbooks such as Batman and Robin, Batman, etc… And Morrison only did 8 of Batman Inc and made a dick move like that?

I say good riddance for he is keaving Batman soon. The morons at DC let him spread his poison since 2006 :frowning:

ehh…im kind of like crud when it comes to reading. I never liked reading…but I always enjoyed being read to by someone who has already read and enjoys the book they are reading.

I remember in school, the teacher would start reading out loud and I wouldnt even follow along in the book, I would just look at and listen to the teacher and get wrapped into the story they were telling…then they would call on a random person to read the next page…it’s all fun and games until they call on a person with a 3rd grade reading level! That’s when i lose my patience, whenever I come across that, I just want to snatch whatever they are reading and just read it myself!

Anyways, I have about 3 real books and a small collection of comics/graphic novels.

I have this stupid joke book called The Bro Code (based of of How I Met Your Mother)

I have The Book of Five Rings

Since I’m a Coheed and Cambria fan, I have the Novel that came with their 5th album Year of The Black Rainbow, which is a prequel to the previous 4 albums.

Then for the comics/graphic novels, I have all of the available books released for Coheed’s albums 1and 2 known as The Amory Wars

I never bought the individual comics, I just waited for the trade paper back versions to be released.

I have The Second Stage Turbine Blade parts 1 and 2
and In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 1,2 and 3.

[quote=“NorthStarKen”]

Eh I can’t stand Morrison and don’t get all the hype about him. Half of Batman’s dialogue doesn’t even sound like stuff Batman would say IMO.

Also there are like 17 New 52 Issues of certain Batbooks such as Batman and Robin, Batman, etc… And Morrison only did 8 of Batman Inc and made a dick move like that?

I say good riddance for he is keaving Batman soon. The morons at DC let him spread his poison since 2006 :frowning:[/quote]

Considering he created the character I’d say that gives him reign to do what he wants.

That said I’ve loved Snyder’s run. Court of Owls and Death of the Family were great.

[quote]I’ve been trying to branch out more though so I decided to start reading Peter F Hamilton’s stuff. I recently finished the books in the Commonwealth Saga so now I’m reading The Dreaming Void. His vision of the future pretty much aligns with my own, lots of planets, strange plant/animal life but very little of life on the same level of intelligence as humans. He tends to drone on and on trying to find a point but ultimately I enjoy his books.
[/quote]

Love Those books. Recently finished “Great North Road,” his latest and really enjoyed getting back into his writing.

The last book I read was “Day by Day Armageddon” and its sequel, so far these have been the best zombie apocalypse books I have ever read.

As far as sci-fi, The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons I still think is the greatest sci-fi masterpiece ever written. I think Mass Effect was roughly based off it but completely screwed up how to do it.

[quote=“Aerindel”]
As far as sci-fi, The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons I still think is the greatest sci-fi masterpiece ever written. I think Mass Effect was roughly based off it but completely screwed up how to do it.[/quote]

Damn it Prime, I JUST got back from the book store and they didn’t have it! I am gonna order it online soon.

For now I got Legacy of the Force Vol. 1 Betrayal. I now own part 1 and 2 cause I got 2 as a gift years ago and haven’t read it yet.

Never heard of Fate of the Jedi, its a series after Legacy of the Force.

Hopefully the new films will be based on Legacy

[edit] and… my comic books arrived today. So lot’s of reading is in the cards.

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

I will not stop recommending it.