Bayonetta: empowering or exploitative to women?

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213466/bayonetta-empowering-or-exploitative/

I’m glad to hear a woman’s perspective on this b/c for weeks I’ve heard how Bayonetta is a blatantly exploitation of women…from a bunch of heterosexual males.

I see Bayonetta as a character that is empowering to women. Showing that they can fully be in charge of their sexuality and show it to the world. Their breasts, vagina, legs, arms hell your entire body is a source of power and she should be proud to use them as weapons.

You?

[quote=“sbf717”]http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/213466/bayonetta-empowering-or-exploitative/

I’m glad to hear a woman’s perspective on this b/c for weeks I’ve heard how Bayonetta is a blatantly exploitation of women…from a bunch of heterosexual males.

I see Bayonetta as a character that is empowering to women. Showing that they can fully be in charge of their sexuality and show it to the world. Her breasts, vagina, legs, arms hell your entire body is a source of power and she should be proud to use them as weapons.[/quote]

Well its certianly exploiting sex and they are advertising her sexual appeal and extreme fanservice. Apparently that’s not so exploitative in the opinion of women. I kind of expected them to say she’s oversexualized. Its really confusing that they say other characters are about sex when this character clearly is as much as any of the rest. I guess because she uses weapons and isn’t some panzy that makes her empowering. Then again I’m a dude so I guess women have different opinions on whats going to be empowering I guess. I enjoy a character like Samus more she is sexy but its not the main point of the game, in fact people didn’t know it was a female till she took her helmet off I think she’s way more empowering.

Its got the typical sex and violence sells vibe but if women feel that’s empowering Capcom won’t mind.

Neither.

It’s just a game.

[quote=“nothere413”]Neither.

It’s just a game.[/quote]

Yep. As far as I’m concerned she’s a good character.

@those guys:

OHHH DIDN’T SEE TITTIES

I think the thing is…

Just because horny people on the interwebs would like to fuck her… it doesn’t mean that SHE is a negative influence.

Today at at work I had some lady going on about how Baynetta was extremely raunchy and made her comfortable to play because of the sexual themes the game has. She seemed almost embarrassed to tell me of a scene in the game where the camera seems to zoom on one of the female enemies that appears to be pleasuring herself:

[align=center][YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE][/align]

The whole time she was talking about it, I realized I didn’t really care. Sure it’s sexual but I suppose my views of the game itself, as well as sexuality alone, are different.

Personally, I never liked Baynetta’s design. Not because she was overly sexual, but just because I don’t like it. She’s got a weird looking hair cut and what the fuck is the disc thing on her outfit? And while her wings are cool looking, I think it overall would have been better to have them coming off her back instead of her arms and the gun-shoes would be more cooler if they were actual gun-shoes over being guns tied to shoes. (Though the design has grown more on me then before.)

I never had an issue with Baynetta as a “sexy” woman. Sure, she looks a bit awkward due to being so unproportional but I didn’t mind her being sexy. Guys can fantasize however much they want to over her and I’d never really be bothered because, let’s all be honest here… Regardless of what a person looks like, if you find them to be attractive you’re going to fantasize about them. It doesn’t mean that the character herself is a sex object.

Nor have I gotten the feeling that Baynetta is meant to sexualize women. If anything, I always thought it was suppose to be over the top in order to make fun of how games, movies, and anime often do portray women sexually.

And if anything… I like playing as a sexy bad ass because I’d like to be a sexy bad ass. :frowning:

[quote=“Kumiko”]Nor have I gotten the feeling that Baynetta is meant to sexualize women. If anything, I always thought it was suppose to be over the top in order to make fun of how games, movies, and anime often do portray women sexually.
[/quote]

I guess you could say make fun of. There’s no doubt Bayonetta is about the main character being sexualized however. I guess its not offensive.

Shes one of my favorite video game characters just as badass as dante and not degrading in anyway

Having not played Bayonetta yet all it comes down to is the gameplay and what I have heard so far that it’s the best aspect of the game. I did play the demo and had a good time on that and that is all that matters.

[quote=“nothere413”]Neither.

It’s just a game.[/quote]

This.