Albums of the Year 2009

We had a thread like this at the beginning of the year, so I figured we should have one now that the year is almost over.

Please try to keep the album art at a reasonable size.

1. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

2. fun. - Aim and Ignite

3. Our Lady Peace - Burn Burn

4. Andrew W.K. - 55 Cadillac

5. Colin Hay - American Sunshine

6. The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die

7. Dan Deacon - Bromst

8. The Envy Corps - Kid Gloves EP

9. Tommy Sparks (Self-Titled)

10. The Rumble Strips - Welcome to the Walk Alone

No Night Castle? I am disappoint.

Eh… I prefer their Christmas stuff.

1. If These Trees Could Talk-Above the Earth, Below the Sky

2. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

3. Dredg-The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion

4. Andrew WK- Gundam Rock

5. Paramore- Brand New Eyes

I don’t buy a whole lot of albums. So some of these are pretty old. My number 1 came out in 1988.

1. Lincoln - They Might Be Giants Kiss Me, Son Of God

2. Fantasies - Metric Stadium Love

3. Grow Up And Blow Away - Metric Raw Sugar

4. Factory Showroom - They Might Be Giants Spiraling Shape

5. No One’s First and You’re Next - Modest Mouse The Whale Song

6. Sci-Fi Crimes - Chevelle Roswell’s Spell

7. The Dethalbum - Dethklok Murmaider

8. All Hope Is Gone - Slipknot Wherein Lies Continue

9. Incredibad - The Lonely Island Boombox with Julian Casablancas

10. 21st Century Breakdown - Green Day Before the Lobotomy

[quote=“StealthMaster86”]I don’t buy a whole lot of albums. So some of these are pretty old. My number 1 came out in 1988.

1. Lincoln - They Might Be Giants Kiss Me, Son Of God

2. Fantasies - Metric Stadium Love

3. Grow Up And Blow Away - Metric Raw Sugar

4. Factory Showroom - They Might Be Giants Spiraling Shape

5. No One’s First and You’re Next - Modest Mouse The Whale Song

6. Sci-Fi Crimes - Chevelle Roswell’s Spell

7. The Dethalbum - Dethklok Murmaider

8. All Hope Is Gone - Slipknot Wherein Lies Continue

9. Incredibad - The Lonely Island Boombox with Julian Casablancas

10. 21st Century Breakdown - Green Day Before the Lobotomy[/quote]

:confused;

The thread title is “Albums of the Year 2009”, meaning only albums that came out this year.

The album title is “Albums of the Year 2009”, meaning only albums that came out this year.[/quote]

Alright picky So I’ll just pick the ONLY 5 albums I got that came out this year.

1. Fantasies - Metric

2. No One’s First and You’re Next - Modest Mouse

3. Sci-Fi Crimes - Chevelle

4. Incredibad - The Lonely Island

5. 21st Century Breakdown - Green Day

OK let’s think about this. TSO does a lot of Christmas carol remixes in their Christmas-based CDs, true. But that’s only like 65%. A lot of the content on their Christmas albums is still all original. The lyrics may be about Christmas but it’s still all original. I think you should give Night Castle a shot based on that.

Not that I’ve listened to all of it myself yet, I’m getting it this Christmas. I have sampled three or four tracks from their site though, and a couple are definite keepers.

[quote=“Andrex”]OK let’s think about this. TSO does a lot of Christmas carol remixes in their Christmas-based CDs, true. But that’s only like 65%. A lot of the content on their Christmas albums is still all original. The lyrics may be about Christmas but it’s still all original. I think you should give Night Castle a shot based on that.

Not that I’ve listened to all of it myself yet, I’m getting it this Christmas. I have sampled three or four tracks from their site though, and a couple are definite keepers.

Well… Symphonic Metal is really not the kind of genre I can just sit down and listen to alot at once. I mean, I was on a Nightwish kick for awhile, but that’s about as far as it goes.

If you want a better idea of my preferences, look up one of the artists in the OP.

[SPOILER]Excluding Andrew WK, as that album is only classical piano music. If I had to pick one for people to look up, it would be The Envy Corps[/SPOILER]

Not all their content is metal either, though. Well, I’ll just say keep it in mind if you have extra money to drop on music.

Well… to be honest, I don’t usually pay for an album that I don’t absolutely love.

So I’ll probably try it out via means of questionable morality, first.

_>

And that’s what separates you from the smart people.

[quote=“Andrex”]>_>

And that’s what separates you from the smart people.[/quote]

Since when are intelligence and mindlessly filling the pockets of record label executives related?

Believe me, if a band I like does a live show around here, I’ll be there in a heartbeat. And if a band who is hurting for cash releases an album independently, I’ll buy it the day it comes out.

But like I said, if I like it alot, I’ll probably buy it. How much money from buying an album do you think actually goes to people who deserve it?

[quote=“nothere413”]Since when are intelligence and mindlessly filling the pockets of record label executives related?

Believe me, if a band I like does a live show around here, I’ll be there in a heartbeat. And if a band who is hurting for cash releases an album independently, I’ll buy it the day it comes out.

But like I said, if I like it alot, I’ll probably buy it. How much money from buying an album do you think actually goes to people who deserve it?[/quote]
An amount exactly equal to what they negotiated with the label for and expect to be paid in exchange for their hard work.

Don’t try to make this into a “support the artists directly” argument. Labels do a shitton of hard work, too. Belittling anyone’s works just because you don’t like the legal means you can acquire it doesn’t give you carte blanch to say “screw the rules.”

So around one tenth of a cent per record.

The way I see it, I’d rather rip the record company off and then go see the band live to make up for it.

Is it of questionable morality? Yes. But I can deal.

It’s not just questionable, it’s also illegal.

How do you think most bands even make most of their money? One-stop pony show concerts? :lol Almost all of their revenue is paid through their labels. So by “ripping the record company off” you’re also ripping the band off, too.

I’d also like to know how much of each tiny little concert ticket goes to them.

[quote=“Andrex”]It’s not just questionable, it’s also illegal.

How do you think most bands even make most of their money? One-stop pony show concerts? :lol Almost all of their revenue is paid through their labels. So by “ripping the record company off” you’re also ripping the band off, too.[/quote]

lolno.

First of all, most bands tour alot. Like 6 or 7 months out of the year. And actually, the tours give them much more money since they cut out the middleman. They pay for the place where they do the concerts, which includes setup, cleanup, and the salaries of concession stand workers if it’s a large concert (that’s assuming that the concession stands are selling band merchandise and not just beverages, and band merchandise also makes profit for the band). There’s no record company involved, and any extra money is pure profit. Meaning, for ever ticket sold, they keep (and keep in mind, this is just an estimate) roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the money, based on how many tickets sold.

Now, with cd sales, the record company keeps most of the money for these reasons.

A: The cost to print the album
B: The cost to advertise the album
C: To make a profit

The band makes enough profit to keep themselves going so they can keep making more music for the record company to make a profit, but that’s about it.

You can quote me when I say that most bands in the world that do live shows make most of their money from the live shows and merchandise, and not from album sales.

tl;dr: You are wrong.

Now, if you don’t want to download albums because you have a problem with that, then that’s fine and everything, but don’t go thinking it makes anyone any less of a fan for doing it. And remember, you don’t have to fileshare to support filesharing in the first place.

If you’re a fan via illegal means you might as well not be a fan. It’s willfully destructive behavior.

Regardless talk of illegal activities is prohibited by the rules, so this talk is over now.

:disgust;

Alot of bands became popular BECAUSE of piracy.

Alot of bands became popular BECAUSE of piracy.[/quote]
If they have control over their music of course they can control any way they want to distribute it. No duh.

But really, try to get back on topic.