50 million bucks down the toilet. GTA 4 Episodes come to PS3/PC

Never thought I’d see the day.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/2010/01/29/2861/grand_theft_auto_episodes_from_liberty_city_coming_to_playstation_3_and_pc

Although I’ll probably still end up getting it for 360 if they bring it to Games on Demand.

Wasn’t the agreement always for timed exclusivity? No surprise for me.

Actually it wasn’t down the toilet the contract probably ran out. Still hurt Sony’s image which is what Microsoft’s goal was. Microsoft can now bank on the fact users will believe they’ll do a deal like this for the next GTA sure the other console will eventually get the same content but having content late makes a difference. Again if the content is up for grabs again guess who’s likely to get first choice?

At no point did MS or Rockstar ever refer to the Episodes as “First on 360” like they do with the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 DLC announcements.

It was never assumed that this would eventually come to PS3 like how MGS 4 is eventually suppose to come to 360.[SPOILER]It probably never will[/SPOILER]

[quote=“sbf717”]At no point did MS or Rockstar ever refer to the Episodes as “First on 360” like they do with the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 DLC announcements.

It was never assumed that this would eventually come to PS3 like how MGS 4 is eventually suppose to come to 360.[SPOILER]It probably never will[/SPOILER][/quote]

Really I had always assumed it would eventually come to PS3. As for MGS 4 360 is getting the new Metal Gear instead which is now multiplatform. They made the decision to make rising multiplatform instead of going back to MGS 4 probably to keep some favor with Sony. It also requires them to go redo stuff which they probably don’t want to.

I expect companies to really start going multiplatform next gen. They already share alot of stuff currently but the more a game costs the more people they have to sell it to. Again something like Final Fantasy XIII shocked alot of people but I think things you thought were really exclusive aren’t going to be.

I heard the DLC didn’t sell well on the 360.

As Shipwreck of Cheapassgamer said… the game was so long and tedious as it is, how many people really want to download more to play when they were never going to finish the original game?

[quote=“spooie”]I heard the DLC didn’t sell well on the 360.

As Shipwreck of Cheapassgamer said… the game was so long and tedious as it is, how many people really want to download more to play when they were never going to finish the original game?[/quote]

That wasn’t Microsoft’s intention the idea was to get attention for Grand Theft Auto on Xbox 360. For a while you thought the 360 version was the better version. They gave you a reason to buy the 360 version.

But who’s about to buy one console over another just because of some DLC?

It actually does affect whether you buy on on 360 or PS3. People get where they believe the game is best. Its like when a multiplatform Wii game comes out if I had the other consoles I’m less likely to get it on Wii because of graphics. If the game on Wii had more content I’d get it on Wii over Xbox 360 or PS3. Users will go for more content even if its DLC. I’d appreciate if I could get the same game with more content.

As much as you think the idea of DLC changing which platform a person gets is funny it actually does. If developers made more content on Wii than they did on other consoles for the same games I’d be sure to buy it on Wii over PS3/Xbox 360. Based on the popularity of GTA games it makes sense to actually expect it to change which system people buy. Its mostly about which console the users buy the game on rather than which console they buy.

It makes the 360 look like the place to buy GTA that helps with mindshare. Its just to say hey the 360 version is the better version of GTA 4 even if it was just for a period of time because that actually matters.

Meaningful content is a good way to get people to care about your game. Its why MMO’s can even sell you a subscription they are promising you content for paying a fee.

Don’t care.

Me neither I think Rockstar is figuring out that GTA is not what is used to be. The selling power of that game has flat lined a bit.

[quote=“sbf717”]At no point did MS or Rockstar ever refer to the Episodes as “First on 360” like they do with the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 DLC announcements.

It was never assumed that this would eventually come to PS3 like how MGS 4 is eventually suppose to come to 360.[SPOILER]It probably never will[/SPOILER][/quote]

That’s right, that’s why they paid so much. It wasn’t said “first on 360” it was said “only on 360” but as many pointed out they never came out and said it wouldn’t come to the ps3. For many like myself, that was a given (one of the devs even had made a slip referring to timed exclusivity)